[VIDEO] Higher Education: New Documentary Questions Absurd Cost of CollegePosted: June 14, 2014
The provocative documentary, which hit select theaters on Friday, demonstrates in sad detail how American college students and their families are struggling to cope with tuition prices that have skyrocketed 1,120 percent in “absolute dollars” since 1978.
Rossi observed that salaries for bureaucrats ranging from incredibly cushy to downright obscene have been a huge factor in tuition increases.
“The increase in administrators and professional staff has far outpaced the growth of full-time faculty.”
— Director Andrew Rossi
Many college presidents now bring home seven-figure salaries, he noted.
Another problem is that colleges and universities routinely give out an abundance of financial aid but then raise their costs — to cover the increased financial aid.
Still another factor is a never-ending array of luxuries that schools build and install to attract students…(read more)
- IVORY TOWER: New Documentary Exposes Vast Wealth Squandered on Campuses (thecollegefix.com)
- Movie Review: Ivory Tower weighs the value of college against its increasingly obscene cost (avclub.com)
- Andrew Rossi’s ‘Ivory Tower’ focuses on growing student debt (sfgate.com)
- Film Review: ‘Ivory Tower’ (variety.com)
- Ivory Tower (rogerebert.com)
- Ivory Tower Movie Review (shockya.com)
- Class, Cost and College (nytimes.com)
- Is College Worth It? New Documentary Weighs Costs of Higher Ed (nbcnews.com)
- First Trailer for College Crisis Documentary IVORY TOWER (collider.com)