IRS Has Lost MORE E-mails . . .Posted: June 17, 2014
UPDATE: For National Review Online, Eliana Johnson writes: It’s not just Lois Lerner’s e-mails. The Internal Revenue Service says it can’t produce e-mails from six more employees involved in the targeting of conservative groups, according to two Republicans investigating the scandal.
The IRS recently informed Ways and Means chairman Dave Camp and subcommittee chairman Charles Boustany that computer crashes resulted in additional lost e-mails, including from Nikole Flax, the chief of staff to former IRS commissioner Steven Miller, who was fired in the wake of the targeting scandal.
The revelation about Lerner’s e-mails rekindled the targeting scandal and today’s news has further inflamed Republicans. Camp and Boustany are now demanding a special prosecutor to investigate “every angle” of the events that led to Lois Lerner’s revelation in May 2013 that the agency had used inappropriate criteria to review the applications for tax exemption.
The lawmakers expressed particular outrage that the agency has known since February that it would not be able to produce the e-mails requested by the committee yet did not apprise the committee of that fact, and they charged in a statement that the IRS is attempting to “cover up the fact that it convenient lost key documents in the investigation.”..(read more)
- IRS lost Lois Lerner’s emails in tea party probe (cbsnews.com)
- IRS says it’s unable to recover subpoenaed Lerner e-mails in computer crash (politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com)
- Lawmakers fume over lost emails in IRS probe (miamiherald.com)
- Time for a special prosecutor on IRS after “lost” e-mails? (hotair.com)
- The IRS claims that Lois Lerner’s e-mails were wiped out by a ‘computer crash’ (washingtonpost.com)
- A CRIMINAL ORGANIZATION: IRS Now Claims It LOST 2 years of Lois Lerner e-mails (webabuser.blogspot.com)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 401 (taxprof.typepad.com)