Female Genital Mutilation: Entire Class of Swedish Girls, 60 Cases ReportedPosted: June 23, 2014 | |
The Local (Swedish News in English) reports: Some 60 cases of genital mutilation have been discovered in Norrköping in eastern Sweden since March with all 30 girls in one school class found to have undergone the procedure.
“Truly a ‘war on women,’ if there ever was one.”
— Ian Tutle, National Review Online
Of the 30, some 28 of the girls were found to have been subjected to the most severe form of genital mutilation, when the clitoris and labia are completely cut away and the genital area sewn together except for a small opening.
Officials believe that the young girls’ parents, many of whom are immigrants from predominantly Muslim countries in the Middle East and North Africa, are subjecting their daughters to the practice during visits to their home countries over summer vacations.
According to the World Health Organization, there are no benefits to FGM, and the myriad consequences are both physical and psychological—and long-lasting: Most victims of FGM are between the ages of four and 14, though infants, too, are often “cut.”
The abuse was discovered by the school health services, according to a report by Norrköpings Tidningar. Additional resources have been provided by the local social services to help the girls.
Female genital mutilation has been illegal in Sweden since 1982 and can be punished with up to four years in prison. If the offence is considered to be aggravated then the penalty can be up to ten years…(read more)
Since 1999 it is also an offence under Swedish law if the procedure is performed in a different country.
When school breaks up for the summer holidays the risk of being exposed to the surgery increases for many Swedish girls due to the prospect of visits to their parents’ home countries.
“We’re working to inform parents that they could face prison if they come back and their children have undergone female genital mutilation,” said Petra Blom Andersson, student health coordinator in Norrköping, to the newspaper.
Most girls who undergo the procedure are between the ages of 4-14 years, but the operation is also carried out on infants… (read more)
TT/The Local/pvs (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Female Genital Mutilation an Alarming Trend in Swedish Schoolgirls (whitenewsnow.com)
- School health services in the small Swedish city of Norrköping have found 60 cases of female genital mutilation (FGM) among schoolgirls since March, with evidence of mutilation found in all 30 girls in one class, 28 of the most severe form. (childreninshadow.wordpress.com)
- Female Genital Mutilation In Sweden School (ramanan50blogs.wordpress.com)
- Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) Exposed in Sweden: All 30 Girls in One Class Discovered Mutilated (catholicglasses.com)
- Swedish health authorities discover every girl in one class had undergone genital mutilation: report (themuslimissue.wordpress.com)
- Sweden: Evidence of mutilation found in all 30 girls in one school’s class (iowntheworld.com)
- 60 cases of female genital mutilation discovered in Swedish school (sott.net)