Bizarre Racial Intolerance: Whiteface Vandalism of Republican Candidate’s SignPosted: June 30, 2014
For National Review Online, Tim Cavanaugh reports: A Florida Republican congressional candidate’s campaign sign was vandalized with whiteface paint last week in a district with overwhelmingly Democratic voter registration. The attack follows a string of bias incidents against black Republicans.
“We expect signs to be tampered with or stolen, but not to this extent…”
Glo Smith, who reports that she has also had a number of signs stolen, tells National Review Online she became aware of the racist defacement of an eight-foot-by-four-foot sign Tuesday. The sign was situated on private property in view of Interstate 10 in Jacksonville. The vandal sprayed white paint over the face of Smith, who is African-American. The paint job appears to be carefully done and leaves the eyes untouched, creating a very creepy effect.
Smith is challenging long-sitting Democratic Congresswoman Corinne Brown in Florida’s Fifth Congressional District, a serpentine product of post-2010 redistricting where Democratic registration is above 60 percent. Brown clobbered her Republican challenger in 2012 with more than 70 percent of the vote.
This year two Republicans are vying to end Brown’s 21-year House career. Smith, a former staffer for Governor Rick Scott whose full name is Gloreatha Scurry-Smith, will face fellow Republican Thuy Lowe in a late-August primary. Smith reports that polling indicates she is leading Lowe, and according to Ballotpedia she had raised eight times as much money as of April…(read more)
- Leftist Bigots In Florida ‘Whiteface’ Black Republican Congressional Candidate’s Campaign Sign (thedaleygator.wordpress.com)
- Black GOP Candidate’s Campaign Photograph Vandalized With Whiteface Paint… (weaselzippers.us)
- Black Republican Candidate’s Face on Campaign Sign Is Painted White (theroot.com)
- Bigots deface Florida congressional candidate Glo Smith’s campaign signs (newsninja2012.com)
- Wait Until You See What Some Bigot Did to this Congressional Candidate’s Campaign Signs (tpnn.com)
- Grays Harbor Democrat Commish Candidate Al Smith: Gender Troglodyte? (ladylibertee.wordpress.com)