FIRE Says It Will Sue Every College With a Speech Code Until Speech Codes Die ForeverPosted: July 1, 2014
[Below, ReasonTV talks with FIRE about challenges to free speech on college campuses]
“Universities’ stubborn refusal to relinquish their speech codes must not be tolerated,” said FIRE President Greg Lukianoff during a press conference.
An OU student’s rights organization, OU Students Defending Students, ran afoul of university administrators because he created T-shirts for the organization that featured a risque phrase “We help get you off”
For now, suits have been filed against Ohio University, Iowa State University, Chicago State University, and Citrus College in California. These universities have all trampled students’ free speech rights, according to FIRE.
Lukianoff explained that FIRE would not hesitate to expand the suits until all universities abandon their speech codes, which were ruled unconstitutional decades ago but have endured at more than 50 percent of colleges, according to the foundation’s research…(read more) Hit & Run
- First Amendment defender FIRE coordinates four free speech lawsuits against public universities (redalertpolitics.com)
- Greg Lukianoff : Campus That Told Student He Could Not Hand Out Constitutions on Constitution Day Settles Lawsuit (ricochet.com)
- The FIRE launches national litigation effort against campus speech codes (legalinsurrection.com)
- Greg Lukianoff : Wall Street Journal: Censors on Campus (ricochet.com)
- Students sue Hawaii university over freedom of speech (educationnews.com)
- “Americans who remember the student protests of the 1960s tend to assume that U.S. colleges are still some of the freest places on earth.” (althouse.blogspot.com)
- ‘Unlearning Liberty’ author inverview: How college administrators murdered free speech (dailycaller.com)