SMIDGEN REPORT: IRS Officials Announced Targeting in 2010, Then Lost EmailsPosted: July 1, 2014
For The Daily Caller, Patrick Howley writes: Ex-Internal Revenue Service (IRS) official Lois Lerner spoke at a 2010 government conference where Lerner’s underling Nikole Flax announced the new IRS program scrutinizing groups applying for tax-exempt status.
Both Lerner and Flax experienced “computer crashes” that led to the permanent deletion of their emails, according to the IRS, which said it cannot hand over their emails to congressional investigators on two House committees.
“The IRS began flagging tea party applications in February 2010, the month of the Washington conference.”
Both Lerner and Flax briefed fellow government bureaucrats on the new targeting at the conference, where Lerner appeared at a workshop called “Will the IRS Come Knocking?”
“Flax made 31 visits to the White House between July 12, 2010 and May 8, 2013, according to White House visitor logs.”
Flax announced the new program scrutinizing groups at the Washington Non-Profit Legal & Tax Conference at the Grand Hyatt in Washington, D.C. from February 18-19, 2010. At the time, Flax worked under Lerner in the Exempt Organizations office.
Lerner gave a luncheon speech at a morning session featuring workshops entitled “Current Developments Affecting Exempt Organizations” and “Will the IRS Come Knocking? What You Need To Know About IRS Audit Plans And Practices For Tax Exempts,” which was moderated by Washington lawyer and former IRS exempt director Marcus S. Owens. Lerner served as “government faculty” for the conference, according to a program obtained by The Daily Caller.
Flax, a frequent White House visitor, announced that 155 new employees were recently added to the Exempt Organizations office, and said that 100 of these employees would be working in the examinations office to audit nonprofit groups. Flax also announced the addition of new Washington-based “tax law specialists” to work on private-letter rulings for groups that would need renewal of their charitable tax-exempt status…(read more)
- Meet The Seven IRS Employees Whose Computers ‘Crashed’ (tomfernandez28.com)
- WHY THE COVER-UP, MR. SMIDGEN? Trail of “Lost” IRS Emails Leads Directly to White House (directorblue.blogspot.com)
- The crash felt from Washington D.C. to Cincinnati, OH… (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- BOOM, BABY: Federal Court Grants Hearing on IRS Email Destruction (directorblue.blogspot.com)
- Smidgen Alert – Lois Lerner Coordinated Efforts To Target GOP Senator Chuck Grassley For IRS Audits… (theconservativetreehouse.com)
- Summary of Obama’s IRS scandal (danfromsquirrelhill.wordpress.com)
- Lerner fights back (politico.com)
- Lawmakers: IRS lost more emails in tea party probe (star-telegram.com)