IRS: ‘There Is No Other Plausible Explanation’Posted: July 13, 2014
For The Washington Post, mirroring punditfromanotherplanet‘s favorite ongoing theme, Ed Rogers writes: Anyone paying attention to the Internal Revenue Service scandal has been waiting for the next smidgen to drop. Well, two more hit pretty hard this week. At the president’s next encounter with the media, I will scream collusion if no one asks him for his exact definition of a “smidgen,” and if he thinks he has seen a smidgen of corruption yet. At this point, only the most gullible or culpable can continue to claim there is no compelling evidence in this case. Given the delays,lies and stonewalling, there is no viable argument against a special prosecutor.
“This is a smoking gun e-mail in that it makes plain she had a cover-up in mind. There is no other plausible explanation.”
Who knows how many of her colleagues and allies are breathing a sigh of relief upon learning that their e-mails to Lerner were destroyed and their instant messages not recorded? I think Lerner must have a sizable silent cheering section in Washington; people who are rooting for her to hang tough in pleading the Fifth and hoping that she does not go wobbly on them.
[Also see Jazz Shaw‘s commentary – The Lerner Files: “smidgens upon smidgens” of corruption]
I’ll bet her government retirement check is one check that never gets lost in the mail or delayed. In a stunning revelation this week, it was disclosed that former IRS official Lois Lerner told colleagues, “we need to be cautious about what we say in emails” and then proceeded to ask the IRS IT department, in an e-mail, “if [instant messaging] conversations were also searchable.” When she was told they were not, she e-mailed back, “Perfect.” This is a smoking gun e-mail in that it makes plain she had a cover-up in mind. There is no other plausible explanation.
It gets even better. In another disclosure, Lerner’s attorney said that previous emphatic statements he had made declaring that Lerner did not print hard copies of her e-mails were not lies, just a “misunderstanding.” In this case, it is obvious what happened…(read more)The Washington Post
Follow Ed on Twitter: @EdRogersDC
- The Insiders: More IRS smidgens show up. ‘Perfect.’ – The Washington Post (rightcoast.typepad.com)
- The IRS Scandal, Day 430 (taxprof.typepad.com)
- A smidgen here, a smidgen there (letfreedomringblog.com)
- Lerner Cautioned IRS Employees about Use of E-mail (nationalreview.com)
- GOP touts newly found Lerner e-mails in IRS scandal: Any smoke in this ‘gun’? (csmonitor.com)
- THE SMIDGEN REPORT: Lois Lerner’s Attorney Thinks 76% of Americans are ‘Silly’ (deadcitizensrightssociety.wordpress.com)
- Newly-released IRS emails raise additional questions (powerlineblog.com)
- Breaking>>> House Oversight Committee Releases Damning Report on Lois Lerner (thegatewaypundit.com)
- ‘Even joking speaks volumes’: Lois Lerner email about OFA job sparks amazement and disgust (twitchy.com)