LEAVING A TRAIL OF SLIME, THE GLOBAL PANIC OF JULY 2014 REACHES LAXPosted: July 15, 2014 | |
67 Extremely Invasive Jumbo-Sized Weaponized Ass-Whooping Giant African Snails Intercepted at LAX
“They can be carriers of several parasites which are harmful to humans, one of which can lead to meningitis”
According to a CBP press release, U.S. Customs & Border Protection (CBP) agriculture specialists at Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) inspected an air cargo shipment declared as 67 live snails. Paperwork accompanying the giant foreign mollusks described them as Achatina Fulica for human consumption.
“These pests are a very serious threat to our agriculture, natural ecosystem, public health and economy.”
— From the CBP release
After submitting an urgent sample to United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Plant Protection and Quarantine entomologists, their acting national mollusk specialist in Washington, D.C., identified them as Giant African Snails – scientifically known as Archachatina(Calachatina) marginata var. ovum (Pfeiffer) (Achatinidae). CBP received notification of this on July 7.
- Cargo’s No Escargot: Humongous Snails Seized at LAX (nbcnews.com)
- Dozens of two-pound giant African snails seized at Los Angeles airport (rawstory.com)
- U.S. Customs Seize Giant African Snails Bound For Dinner Plates (wnyc.org)
- Customs stops giant snails at LAX (losangelesregister.com)
- Giant African Snails Seized at LAX (news.kron4.com)