Victor Davis Hanson’s Disaster Tour: The Turbulent Summer of 2014Posted: July 16, 2014
The summer when America fell apart
When I read that opening sentence, I thought – finally, someone’s on the same page. When we began this ongoing theme — The Global Panic of July 2014 — it was meant as a joke, dark humor to survive the seemingly endless cascade of bad news. But it’s also an amplified recognition of reality; increasing disorder and dysfunction, nationally and internationally. Mixed with breathtaking technological advances, with the promise of more economic disruption to come. From 9/11 until now, we are witnessing a disintegration of the post-war world order. This summer marks even more global instability. Things are unravelling at a faster pace than even my most pessimistic colleagues have suggested. A historic turning point? If so, Victor Davis Hanson‘s an informed tour guide. Read the whole thing here.
Germany in 2008 enthusiastically hosted candidate Barack Obama for his so-called “Victory Column” speech. Now, Germans suddenly sound as if they are near-enemies of the U.S. Chancellor Angela Merkel reportedly was furious that her cell phone was tapped by American intelligence agents.
“Asian powers apparently assume that Obama won’t guarantee the security of the Japanese as America had in the past.”
She just kicked the top CIA official out of Germany, further enraged that the U.S. had recruited at least one German official to provide intelligence on the German government. Polls show that Germans find Vladimir Putin’s Russian tyranny almost as popular as Barack Obama’s America.
Japan is becoming similarly frustrated with the U.S. It is rearming like crazy to confront an aggressive China. Both Asian powers apparently assume that Obama won’t guarantee the security of the Japanese as America had in the past.
The Middle East is dissolving. Taking U.S. peacekeepers out of Iraq proved a disaster. The radical jihadists of ISIS are overrunning Syria and Iraq, as they extend their destruction even to the mute stones of religious sanctuaries…(read more)
- Putin to discuss Ukraine, Syria, Iraq with Obama, EU leaders by phone in upcoming days (voiceofrussia.com)
- Hanson: Is Obama Still President? (nation.foxnews.com)
- Historian Victor Davis Hanson On How Obama’s Incompetence Has Encouraged Our Global Enemies (ijreview.com)
- Bergdahl Returns to U.S. for More Treatment (nytimes.com)
- VICTOR DAVIS HANSON: Lord Obama: “If we were living in normal times, the following scandals and fa… (pjmedia.com)
- A BARACK DIVIDED AGAINST HIMSELF CANNOT STAND: Victor Davis Hanson: Obama Indicts Obama. One of… (pjmedia.com)
- Obama’s Checklist for War (thegatewaypundit.com)