BREAKING: Malaysia Airlines Passenger Plane Crashes Near Ukraine Russia BorderPosted: July 17, 2014
A MALAYSIAN Airlines passenger plane with 295 people has crashed in Ukraine
UPDATE: Ukrainian Officials Reports that it was BROUGHT DOWN BY RUSSIAN SURFACE TO AIR MISSILE… developing…
The Boeing 777 went down near the Russian border according to an aviation industry source.
It is not clear what caused the flight MH17 to crash or if there have been any fatalities.
UPDATE: KIEV, Ukraine (AP) — A Ukrainian official said a passenger plane carrying 295 people was shot down Thursday over a town in the east of the country, and Malaysian Airlines tweeted that it lost contact with one of its flights over Ukrainian airspace.
Anton Gerashenko, an adviser to Ukraine’s interior minister, said on his Facebook page the plane was flying at an altitude of 10,000 meters (33,000 feet) when it was hit by a missile fired from a Buk launcher. A similar launcher was seen by Associated Press journalists near the eastern Ukrainian town of Snizhne earlier Thursday. The Buk missile system can fire missiles up to an altitude of 22,000 meters (72,000 feet).
Malaysia Airlines said on its Twitter feed that it “has lost contact of MH17 from Amsterdam. The last known position was over Ukrainian airspace. More details to follow.”
The region has seen severe fighting between Ukrainian forces and pro-Russia separatist rebels in recent days…(read more)
The country’s government said they believed all people onboard MH370 were dead after a lengthy search in the Indian Ocean…Developing…
- MH370 crew ‘likely unresponsive’ (edition.cnn.com)
- Outside group says it knows Flight 370’s rough location (edition.cnn.com)
- Search for missing Malaysian plane shifts south (wbrz.com)
- Relatives of Malaysia Airlines Passengers Receive Compensation (novinite.com)
- Missing Malaysia Airlines plane ‘crashes off Vietnam’ (theiranproject.com)
- Malaysia Airlines Begins Insurance Payments (abcnews.go.com)