DOJ Investigating Missing IRS EmailsPosted: July 17, 2014
WASHINGTON (AP/ Breitbart) reports: The Justice Department is investigating the circumstances behind the disappearance of emails from a former senior Internal Revenue Service official, part of a broader criminal inquiry into whether the agency had targeted conservative groups seeking tax-exempt status, according to congressional testimony released Wednesday.
In a statement to be delivered to a congressional committee on Thursday, Deputy Attorney General James Cole says investigators are looking into emails that went missing from the computer of Lois Lerner.
Cole was to appear before the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, which has been investigating the matter. He declined to provide additional information about the investigation, according to prepared remarks issued ahead of his appearance.
The IRS has said it lost the emails in 2011 when Lerner’s computer crashed. At the time, Lerner headed the IRS division that processes applications for tax-exempt status.
Lerner, who refused to answer questions at two House committee hearings, has become a central figure in several congressional investigations into the handling of applications for tax-exempt status by tea party groups. At both hearings, Lerner cited her Fifth Amendment right not to incriminate herself. In May, the Republican-led House voted to hold Lerner in contempt of Congress for refusing to testify.
Lerner’s attorney, William Taylor III, declined to comment Wednesday.
The disclosure by the IRS that agents had improperly scrutinized tea party and other conservative groups when they applied for tax-exempt status set off a political firestorm that continues to flare in the current election year. The revelation that investigators were broadening their inquiry to include the missing emails comes as Republican members of Congress have accused the Obama administration of not cooperating with their investigation and failing to take the matter seriously enough. They have asked Attorney General Eric Holder to appoint a special prosecutor to investigate, which he has resisted…(read more)
- Lois Lerner Targeted Chuck Grassley After He Blocked Obama’s DOJ Tax Nominee (dailycaller.com)
- ‘WHOA’! Lois Lerner reportedly tried to target Sen. Grassley for IRS examination? (twitchy.com)
- BOMBSHELL! Lois Lerner Emailed About Working For #OFA (thegatewaypundit.com)
- IRS to turn over all Lois Lerner emails to House committee (legalinsurrection.com)
- Curious: Lois Lerner discussed new IRS ‘scrutiny’ guidelines same month her emails disappeared (hotair.com)
- IRS Agrees To Give House Committee All Lois Lerner Emails (dailycaller.com)
- NOT EVEN A SMIDGEN OF CORRUPTION: Lois Lerner Will Not Testify Without Immunity or Court Order (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Thank God, it’s the… Justice Department: DOJ investigating ‘lost’ Lois Lerner emails (michellemalkin.com)