Israel’s Critics Wage War on RealityPosted: July 17, 2014
For Commentary Magazine, Max Boot writes: It tells you all you need to know about Hamas that its biggest victory to date against Israel–one that is no doubt being celebrated in the fortified bunkers that house its leadership–was the death of four young Palestinian boys on a Gaza City beach on Wednesday. The boys were apparently killed by an Israeli bomb or missile.
Needless to say, the Israel Defense Forces do not deliberately target children–any more than do the armed forces of the United States or other civilized powers. That is both morally abhorrent and strategically stupid: What possible purpose can be served in killing children? But while deeply harmful and counterproductive for Israel, this inadvertent strike was a big win for Hamas. It produced the most coveted of victories in modern warfare: a front-page picture, taken by the storiedNew York Times photographer Tyler Hicks, of one dead boy lying on the Gaza sand and another being carried in a man’s arms.
There is no surer or better way for Hamas to make its propaganda point, which is the only point of this entire exercise from its standpoint. Hamas, like other terrorist groups, knows it cannot win a military victory against a much more powerful enemy, but it can win a public-relations victory by fostering the illusion that Israel is the aggressor and the Palestinians its victims.
Such an image is as powerful as it is misleading. All informed observers know the facts.
They know that Israel accepted a cease-fire to end this conflict while Hamas rejected it.
They know that Israel gave up all of the Gaza Strip to the Palestinians in 2005 in the hope that peace would break out but that the result has only been an unending series of attacks on Israel that no nation could possibly tolerate…(read more)
- Israel, Hamas agree to 5 hour Gaza ‘humanitarian’ ceasefire (yalibnan.com)
- Why Hamas wants an invasion (warsclerotic.wordpress.com)
- Israel urges Palestinians to leave Gaza amid air strikes (jamaica-gleaner.com)
- Netanyahu Vows ‘Intensified’ Strikes on Hamas After First Israeli Death (mediaite.com)
- Following protest in Taipei, Israel envoy defends Gaza air strikes (wantchinatimes.com)
- 5-Hour Cease-Fire Underway Between Israel, Hamas (abc11.com)
- Nothing Makes Hamas Happier Than Dead Palestinians (algemeiner.com)