Palestinians Starting To Have Mixed Feelings About Being Used As Human ShieldsPosted: July 19, 2014
BEIT LAHIA, GAZA STRIP—Saying they’ve begun to reevaluate their stance as the latest outbreak of Israeli-Palestinian violence has escalated, hundreds of residents of the Gaza Strip told reporters Friday they are starting to have mixed feelings about Hamas using them and their loved ones as human shields.
“I’m not crazy about the fact that Hamas is actually okay with me dying as long as it fuels both resentment toward Israel and support for the party.”
“At this point, I have to say I’m pretty much on the fence about having militants strategically store their missile batteries in and around my home, which Israel will almost certainly want to bomb,” said Azzam al-Salhi, explaining that, while he’s always understood Hamas’ reliance on guerilla tactics to perpetuate the decades-long fight against Israel, he has recently soured on the idea of going to bed every night facing the real prospect of being incinerated by an Israeli airstrike intended for a Hamas arms cache.
“I guess I sort of appreciate where they’re coming from, so it’s tough. Of course, my kids hate it…”
“When I think about it, I guess I’d go so far as to say that I don’t completely enjoy how this is being done entirely without my consent…(read more)
Thanks to Bret Stephens for this tip
- What real support for Israel looks like (powerlineblog.com)
- Hamas’s Asymmetric War against Israel (nationalreview.com)
- Hamas Bears the Moral and Legal Responsibility for Every Dead Palestinian Child (nationalreview.com)
- The lopsided casualty rate in Gaza proves nothing about responsibility for the conflict (legalinsurrection.com)
- Pallywood swings back into action for Gaza conflict (legalinsurrection.com)
- Vox-er blames Israel for disproportionate Palestinian deaths, ignores Hamas’ ‘defense’ strategy (twitchy.com)