WaPo Irony: ‘Obama Aides Were Warned in 2013’ About a Brewing Border Crisis Obama Knowingly Set in Motion in 2011Posted: July 20, 2014 | |
The Left Hand Pretends it Doesn’t Know What the Other Left Hand is Doing
Washington Post: Nearly a year before President Obama declared a humanitarian crisis on the border, a team of experts arrived at the Fort Brown patrol station in Brownsville, Tex., and discovered a makeshift transportation depot for a deluge of foreign children.
“Make no mistake, the president instigated the influx of illegal aliens”
[See Andrew C. McCarthy’s An Obama-Caused Border Disaster]
Thirty Border Patrol agents were assigned in August 2013 to drive the children to off-site showers, wash their clothes and make them sandwiches. As soon as those children were placed in temporary shelters, more arrived. An average of 66 were apprehended each day on the border and more than 24,000 cycled through Texas patrol stations in 2013.
In a 41-page report to the Department of Homeland Security, the team from the University of Texas at El Paso (UTEP) raised alarms about the federal government’s capacity to manage a situation that was expected to grow worse.
“The administration did too little to heed those warnings, according to interviews with former government officials.”
The researchers’ observations were among the warning signs conveyed to the Obama administration over the past two years as a surge of Central American minors has crossed into south Texas illegally. More than 57,000 have entered the United States this year, swamping federal resources and catching the government unprepared.
The administration did too little to heed those warnings, according to interviews with former government officials, outside experts and immigrant advocates, leading to an inadequate response that contributed to this summer’s escalating crisis.
Federal officials viewed the situation as a “local problem,” said Victor Manjarrez Jr., a former Border Patrol station chief who led the UTEP study. The research, conducted last year, was funded by the Department of Homeland Security and published in March. A broader crisis was “not on anyone’s radar,” Manjarrez added, even though “it was pretty clear this number of kids was going to be the new baseline.”
Revised Border Patrol estimates now suggest the number could reach 90,000 by the end of September.Cecilia Muñoz, Obama’s domestic policy adviser, said the administration and key agencies had made adjustments over time to deal with the influx of children but then responded with urgency once federal officials realized in May that the numbers would far exceed internal projections of 60,000 minors crossing the border in 2014.
Last month, Obama ordered an emergency response overseen by the National Security Council and the Federal Emergency Management Agency, and he asked Congress to approve $3.7 billion in emergency funds.
“What happened this year was . . . off-the-charts different,” Muñoz said. “It was not the same pattern. We assumed a significant increase, but this was not the same kind of trend line…(read more) Washington Post
- The border crisis isn’t Obama’s Katrina – it’s worse (hotair.com)
- WaPo Poll: Majority of Latinos Disapprove Of How Obama Is Handling Border Crisis… (weaselzippers.us)
- White House ignored red flags on migrant children for years (triblive.com)
- JUST IN — Border Patrol Agents Accuses Obama Regime Of “Aiding Smuggling Of Illegal Aliens” (redflagnews.com)
- Border Agents Finally Spill The Beans On Obama (conservativebyte.com)
- Top House Republican: 100% border security ‘not realistic’… (nationalreview.com)
- Border Patrol Agent: Why Would Anyone Pay for a Smuggler When US Is Doing It For Free? (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Ted Cruz Drafting Border Crisis Bill (nationalreview.com)
- Border Patrol Agent: Fed Govt Is “Aiding, Abetting & Facilitating Smuggling of Illegal Aliens” (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Obama’s pathetic border crisis blame shifting (hotair.com)