[VIDEO] Noted Constitutional Expert Eleanor Holmes Norton Schools Congress: ‘You DON’T Have a Right to Know Everything’ Government Does!Posted: July 26, 2014
OUT: Government Transparency. IN: Government Secrecy, and proud of it! Oversight is not cool, my friend.
Washington, D.C.’s non-voting congressional Rep. Eleanor Holmes Norton told her House colleagues on Friday that other branches of government do not necessarily have a right to know what the White House does in private. The remarks came during a Oversight and Government Reform Committee hearing, as the Democratic official railed against Republicans for ignoring a White House assertion that Office of Political Strategy and Outreach director David Simas cannot be subpoenaed to appear before Congress.
“You don’t have a right to know everything in a separation-of-powers government. That is the difference between a parliamentary government and a separation-of-powers government.”
Chairman Darrell Issa, R-Calif., noted he was not alleging any wrongdoing by Simas, but there was a history of violations involving that particular office in prior administrations that justified requesting his testimony.
Under President Obama, the White House has asserted sweeping executive powers, including the right to ignore pretty much all congressional inquiries. The administration has regularly ignored subpoenas from congressional committees.
Rep. Elijah Cummings (D-MD), a ranking member of the committee, reportedly agreed with Norton, telling her “I associate myself with your comments.”
- Dem Congresswoman: ‘You Don’t Have a Right to Know Everything’ Government Does (mediaite.com)
- Eleanor Holmes Norton Yells At Issa: ‘You Don’t Have A Right To Know Everything In A Separation-Of-Powers Government!’ (patdollard.com)
- Adviser Ignores Subpoena Again as White House Defies Issa… Dem: ‘You don’t have right to know’ what’s going on… (redflagnews.com)
- Eleanor Holmes Norton: ‘You Don’t Have a Right to Know Everything’ Government Does (breitbart.com)
- Stonewalling: White House Ignores Subpoena, Refuses to Send Witness to Congress, Yet Another Court Battle Ahead (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- White House Refuses to Send Witness to Congress, So Another Court Battle Looms (nationalreview.com)
- Resurrection of the Lerner Emails: IRS Commissioner Says Some May Be Recovered (pjmedia.com)
- Oversight report: 6 reasons Lois Lerner waived her Fifth Amendment rights (dailycaller.com)
- Democrat breaks ranks, supports Issa’s push to enforce Fast and Furious subpoena (dailycaller.com)
- Rep. Darrell Issa: “The American People Have Learned You Cannot Believe This White House. You Cannot Believe This President” (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)