Progressive Jews, Wake UpPosted: July 27, 2014
“For those progressive Jews who have found solace in the myth that anti-Zionism has nothing to do with anti-Semitism, the events across the globe of the last few weeks have been a rude and discomforting awakening.”
For National Review Online, Abraham H. Miller writes: In the largely Orthodox Jewish neighborhood of Chicago’s Petersen Park, residents last Saturday morning found anti-Semitic leaflets on their way to synagogue to observe the Sabbath. The leaflets threatened violence against the community unless Israel stopped the war with Gaza.
For those progressive Jews who have found solace in the myth that anti-Zionism has nothing to do with anti-Semitism, the events across the globe of the last few weeks have been a rude and discomforting awakening. And so they turned to their final recourse, the belief that America was different.
“Hatred is the great unifier. If you are going to hate anyone, hate Jews, because no one cares.”
Sure, there was a pogrom at a synagogue in Paris, but, well, that’s Paris. Muslims and their neo-fascist and leftist allies might walk through the streets of Germany shouting anti-Jewish slogans reminiscent of the Hitler Youth, but, well, that’s Germany.
Then came the pro-Hamas demonstrations in Los Angeles, Boston, and Chicago.
In San Francisco, if not for the police, some 30 pro-Israel protesters would have been brutalized by over 300 people demonstrating on behalf of the genocidal Hamas terrorists.
Sounds of a vicious, leftist anti-Semitism associated with anti-Zionism have long been audible in American society, but Jewish-community leaders, cut from leftist cloth, refused to acknowledge them. I have to wonder if those Jews pushed back on the streets of San Francisco by frenzied haters recognized some of their opponents from joint ventures on gun control, gay and lesbian rights, reproductive rights, and interfaith dialogues.
Those who believe in women’s rights, gay rights, reproductive rights, and human rights have cast their lot with people whose culture violates the basic dignities of freedom. What explains that? Hatred!
Hatred is the great unifier. If you are going to hate anyone, hate Jews, because no one cares. When a naïve foreign-born student at the University of California, San Diego, put up a noose in the library, as a prank on her boyfriend, the administration called for a campus soul searching and held meetings, vigils, and teach-ins….(read more)
— Abraham H. Miller is an emeritus professor of political science at the University of Cincinnati. He has served on the faculty of the University of California, Davis, and the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign.
- French PM: Fighting anti-Semitism is national cause (jta.org)
- Paris’s Kristallnacht (ohifront.wordpress.com)
- Paris Synagogue attacked by Pro-Palestinian crowd carrying boycott message (legalinsurrection.com)
- Why is the Guardian ignoring recent antisemitic attacks in France? (cifwatch.com)
- Paris’s Kristallnacht (findalismonkeyinthemiddle.blogspot.com)
- Iran’s lone Jewish MP compares Israel to Nazis over Gaza strikes (thetruthseeker.co.uk)
- Islamist Jew-haters and their leftist enablers: “The Jews are Beasts” (legalinsurrection.com)
- Anti-zionism has always equalled anti-semitism, and that is why Israeli PR is irrelevant (jlo87.com)
- Anti-Semitism on the march: Europe braces for violence (telegraph.co.uk)
- Just more “pro-Palestinian” protests: Nazi salutes in Paris, “death to all Jews” in the Hague (legalinsurrection.com)