GLOBAL PANIC OF 2014 Solar Flare FreakoutPosted: August 4, 2014
So, what would happen if an enormous flare actually did hit us?
Pop-Mech’s Kathryn Free reports: Recently, there’s been news of a humongous solar flare that narrowly missed the Earth in 2012. If it had been one week earlier, one of the largest solar storms in recorded history would have directly hit our world. Just a small reminder that we live near an enormous ball of nuclear fusion.
“No cell phones, no ATMs, no sewage systems, and no working respirators in hospitals for months.”
First things first — we would not be fried to a crisp. The Sun is too far away for the heat from a flare to make it here, according to a statement from NASA. But a new report published yesterday in Physics World says that while solar storms can’t kill us outright, they could have catastrophic effects… and we should be doing everything we can to prepare for them.
Even though the heat from a flare can’t reach us, the electromagnetic particles from the blast would, and would wreak havoc with our electronics. Imagine the electromagnetic pulse bombs from Ocean’s Eleven or Red Dawn, but instead of knocking out the electricity in Las Vegas or the United States, these solar flares could knock out power grids and communication systems on a global scale…(read more)
- Next Super Doom? Humanity Risks Solar Superstorm Catastrophe (strangesounds.org)
- Solar flare expected to bring aurora south to Calgary tonight (calgaryherald.com)
- Enormous Solar Storm in 2012 Misses the Earth, Will it Miss Next Time? (wallstreetotc.com)
- Gingrich’s Plan to Stop a Solar Flare Apocalypse… (nationaljournal.com)
- Solar Activity Surges: Multiple X-Class Flares Reported: NOAA Says More To Come: “Powerful” (sgtreport.com)
- An In-depth Look at Recent Altius Space Machines Contract Awards (parabolicarc.com)
- The world is ending in 2012 – really! (dailycaller.com)
- UH OH: Hundreds of “Superflares” Spotted in Sun-Like Stars. Whenever a big solar storm appears, … (pjmedia.com)
- Planet Earth in crosshairs of major solar flare (dailycaller.com)
- ANOTHER REASON TO BE HARDENING INFRASTRUCTURE: Solar storms can destabilize power grids at midlatit… (pjmedia.com)