One Shot, Seven Arrested in Ferguson ProtestsPosted: August 17, 2014 | |
FERGUSON, Mo.—Rage over the death of an unarmed black teenager by a white police officer sparked another early morning of bloodshed and mayhem after protesters and police clashed Sunday.
“If we are going to have justice, we must first have and maintain peace.”
— Missouri Gov. Jay Nixon
By the time the smoke and tear gas cleared, one person was listed in critical condition with gunshot injuries. Seven protesters had been arrested for failing to disperse, police said at a news conference about 2:30 a.m. local time.
Police said they didn’t know who was responsible for the shooting, which is under investigation. They didn’t immediately release details about the victim. It didn’t appear to be a police-involved shooting, authorities said.
“While protesters chanted “no justice, no curfew,” police used a loudspeaker to warn the crowd that they were in violation of a state-imposed curfew.”
[Also see – New Police Tactic in Ferguson: Betray Local Business Owners – NRO]
Instead, he said, SWAT teams in at least three armored vehicles moved in only after they had reports of troublemakers at Redz Barbeque restaurant, near the site of prior looting. Most of the protesters heeded warnings and left the site of weeklong protest over the death of 18-year-old Michael Brown by a police officer.
Police also spotted an armed man in the middle of West Florissant Avenue, but he wasn’t apprehended, Capt. Johnson said. A police vehicle was targeted by gunfire, but it is unclear whether it was hit, he said.
The crowds along West Florissant Avenue earlier had thinned considerably Saturday night amid heavy rains and pleas from police and pastors to observe the midnight curfew.
While protesters chanted “no justice, no curfew,” police used a loudspeaker to warn the crowd that they were in violation of a state-imposed curfew.
Protesters had gathered at Redz near the QuikTrip store, which was burned out from looting earlier in the week. About 12:30 a.m., the crowd started to move down the street…(read more)
- Police break up group of defiant protesters in Ferguson (cbsnews.com)
- One Person Shot, Seven Arrested After Protesters Defy Curfew In Ferguson (businessinsider.com)
- Police begin to impose curfew in Ferguson (newsinfo.inquirer.net)
- Police begin to impose curfew in Ferguson (cnsnews.com)
- Shooting victim in critical condition (cnn.com)
- Missouri governor also sets curfew (cnn.com)
- Ferguson Declared A State Of Emergency (dailycaller.com)
- ‘And the riots have started’: Protest escalates in Ferguson Mo. [pics, Vine, video]; Updated: Looting, vandalism, violence: Updated: Gunshots, broken glass, alarms, fire (twitchy.com)