Independent Autopsy Shows No Sign of Struggle in Michael Browns ShootingPosted: August 18, 2014 | |
Medical Examiner Hired by Teen’s Family Finds at Least 6 Bullet Wounds, No Sign of Struggle
FERGUSON, Mo.— For WSJ, Pervaiz Shallwani reports: A former New York City medical examiner found “no evidence of a struggle” between Michael Brown and the police officer who shot him at least six times on Aug. 9—an encounter that has sparked more than a week of unrest in this St. Louis suburb.
Dr. Michael Baden and an assistant, Dr. Shawn Purcell, conducted the autopsy of Mr. Brown at the request of the teen’s family. They spent about three hours going over the 18-year-old’s wounds at a local funeral home, where the body was delivered after it was released by the St. Louis Medical Examiner.
“The attorneys here, we know too well, if you don’t have your own autopsy, and you have to depend completely on the police department’s autopsy, that’s not a good thing.”
— Attorney Benjamin Crump
The autopsy comes a week after the initial autopsy by the St. Louis County Medical Examiner. The county medical examiner’s office confirms Mr. Brown was shot in the head and chest multiple times.
Federal officials have said they plan to conduct their own autopsy at the request of the family.
Based on his preliminary analysis, Mr. Baden said the body lacked bruising or signs of blows that would have indicated a struggle. Police have said that Michael Brown pushed Officer Darren Wilson into his patrol car, where the two struggled over the officer’s gun. The officer then shot Mr. Brown multiple times, before he died about 35 feet away from the car, police said.
A witness and a lawyer for the Brown family have challenged that account and said that Mr. Brown was raising his hands to surrender when the fatal shots were fired.
Mr. Baden said he is looking to review the medical report for the officer to determine if it shows any evidence on his body of a struggle…(read more)
Write to Pervaiz Shallwani at email@example.com
- Michael Brown shot at least 6 times: report (cbsnews.com)
- Preliminary Autopsy Shows Michael Brown Was Shot at Least 6 Times (getmybuzzup.com)
- Confirmed “NO BULLETS IN Big Mike’s BACK” – Mike Brown Family Autopsy Released “Mr. Brown, 18, was also shot four times in right arm, all the bullets were fired into his front”…. (theconservativetreehouse.com)
- Michael Brown Autopsy Results Revealed by NY Times (mediaite.com)
- BREAKING: ‘Shot-in-the-Back-While-Fleeing’ Narrative Up in Smoke: Autopsy Shows Michael Brown Was Struck at Least 6 Times (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- NONE In The Back: Brown Autopsy Shows He Was Shot In The Front Of The Body (dailycaller.com)
- Nixon calls out National Guard to Ferguson (hotair.com)
- Autopsy: Michael Brown Was Shot Six Times, All From the Front (nationalreview.com)
- Eric Holder orders additional autopsy on Michael Brown. Wait… what? (hotair.com)
- Thoughts on the Ritual Now Taking Place in Ferguson, Missouri (powerlineblog.com)