Report: Up to Twenty More Westerners Held Hostage by IsilPosted: August 21, 2014
The group which killed American journalist James Foley have many more hostages
For the Telegraph, Gordon Rayner and David Chazan reporting: As well as the journalist Steven Sotloff, who was threatened with beheading by the same man who murdered Foley, Islamic State in Iraq and the Levant (Isil) is holding a number of aid workers, thought to include Vanessa Marzullo, 21, and Greta Ramelli, 20, both Italian.
“Can you go back on all the teaching and the values you have tried to instill for a lifetime?”
Three aid workers employed by the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) are also being held hostage after they were abducted last October.
“Can you change your daughter, who has these values and has strong ideals about solidarity and human empathy?”
— Ramelli’s mother, Antonella
As fears grew that Isil could make good on its threat to murder more hostages, families of those being held defended their loved ones’ decisions to travel to Syria.
Ms Ramelli’s mother, Antonella, said her daughter had been determined from an early age to look after others, starting by helping out in a retirement home when she was 12.
Responding to suggestions that she should not have allowed her daughter to travel to Syria, Mrs Ramelli said: “When you hear your daughter say ‘Mamma, in that country they are killing children, I must go and help,’ what can you say?”
“Can you go back on all the teaching and the values you have tried to instill for a lifetime?” she told Prealpina, an Italian newspaper. “Can you change your daughter, who has these values and has strong ideals about solidarity and human empathy?”
- Italian women kidnapped by Isis: report (thelocal.it)
- Two Female Italian Aid Workers Kidnapped By Islamic Terrorists (dailycaller.com)
- Half of British jihadist rebels are Londoners (standard.co.uk)
- Fears grow for two missing Italian aid workers (euronews.com)
- NBC: ISIL ‘Collecting’ Foreign Hostages (freebeacon.com)
- American journalist execution video by Islamic State ‘authentic’, says White House (dnaindia.com)
- Report: ISIS Terrorist ‘John the Jailor’ Beheaded US Journalist James Foley (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Defender of the faith (powerlineblog.com)
- Decision to release details of failed raid to free James Foley backfires on White House (hotair.com)
- Krauthammer’s Take: News of Attempted Foley Rescue a ‘Political Reaction to Horrific Event’ (nationalreview.com)