Obama Sent No Representative to Memorial Mass for Beheaded Journalist James FoleyPosted: August 25, 2014
(CNSNews.com) – President Barack Obama sent no White House representative to the memorial Mass held yesterday in Rochester, New Hampshire, for James Foley, the American journalist beheaded by the Islamic State in Iraq and al-Sham (ISIS) terrorists.
President Obama, however, did send three White House aides to Monday’s funeral for Michael Brown, an 18-year-old African American fatally shot in an encounter with a white police officer in Ferguson, Mo.
“There was nobody that represented the White House.”
The memorial mass for James Foley took place Sunday at Our Lady of the Holy Rosary in Foley’s hometown. Connie Hammond, an administrative assistant at Holy Rosary, told CNSNews.com that no White House officials were in attendance.
“There was nobody that represented the White House,” Hammond said, adding that all of the dignitaries in attendance called ahead except for one and that all of them sat together.
Tom Bebbington, director of communications for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Manchester, told CNSNews.com that the officials in attendance at the Mass included New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan (D.), Sen. Kelly Ayotte (R.-N.H.) and Sen. Jeanne Shaheen (D.-N.H), and Rep. Ann Kuster (D.-N.H.).
Bebbington confirmed that no White House officials were present.
Pope Francis sent his condolences to the Foley family in a letter that was read during the Mass.
The letter said the Holy Father “commends James to the loving mercy of God our Father, and joins all who mourn him in praying for an end to senseless violence and the dawn of reconciliation and peace among all the members of the human family.”
While Obama sent no White House officials to Foley’s Sunday memorial Mass, he sent three to Michael Brown’s Monday funeral…(read more)
- Pope sends letter of condolence to family of James Foley (catholicnewsagency.com)
- NH Hometown Church Holding Mass Of Remembrance For Journalist James Foley (boston.cbslocal.com)
- Mass set for Foley, journalist slain by militants (wfaa.com)
- Family of James Foley reveals letter journalist wrote during captivity (foxnews.com)
- VIDEO: James Foley memorial ‘packed’ (bbc.co.uk)
- Pope Francis calls slain journalist James Foley’s parents (cbsnews.com)
- Mass Set for Foley, Journalist Slain by Militants (abcnews.go.com)