Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Showdown: China Warns Against ‘Foreign Meddling’Posted: August 30, 2014
BEIJING (AP) — China warned against foreign meddling in Hong Kong’s politics Saturday ahead of an expected announcement to recommend highly contentious restrictions on the first direct elections for the leader of the Chinese-controlled financial hub.
- Hong Kong’s Occupy Central ‘Referendum’ Explained
- China threatens to remove Hong Kong’s autonomy
- Beijing Gets Ugly in Hong Kong
“Not only are they undermining Hong Kong’s stability and development, but they’re also attempting to turn Hong Kong into a bridgehead for subverting and infiltrating the Chinese mainland,” said the article.
[Also see – Hong Kong Tensions Rise as Beijing Critic’s Home Raided – WSJ]
“This can absolutely not be permitted,” it said, citing an unidentified official in the Foreign Ministry‘s department for Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan affairs.
The article said that as a special administrative region of China, Hong Kong’s affairs are entirely a Chinese internal matter. China will refute and make “solemn representations” in response to statements and actions by foreign forces and demand that they “cease meddling in Hong Kong’s affairs and Chinese internal political matters by any means,” it said.
The article did not identify any individuals or groups, although Britain and the U.S. have both been vocal about their hopes for genuine democratic reform in Hong Kong…(read more)
- Hong Kong’s Occupy Central ‘Referendum’ Explained (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- China threatens to remove Hong Kong’s autonomy (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Beijing Gets Ugly in Hong Kong (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- CHINA’S Ticking Clock: Critical Hong Kong Vote Ruling by Beijing Coming Soon (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Diplomatic tension over Hong Kong exposes fragility of hopes for democracy (punditfromanotherplanet.com)