Japan’s Defense Ministry Asks for Record Budget Increase in Response to China’s Heightened Military AggressionPosted: August 31, 2014
TOKYO—Took Sekiguchi reports: Japan’s Defense Ministry has requested a budget of ¥4.899 trillion ($47.1 billion) for the coming fiscal year starting April 1, a 2.4% increase over the amount for the current year. If granted, it would be the third year in a row Japan has expanded its military spending following a decade of cuts.
“We have an immediate neighbor whose military expenditures are at least twice as large as Japan’s and second only to the U.S. defense budget.”
— Prime Minister Shinzo Abe
The figure, requested by ministry Friday, doesn’t include spending related to U.S. bases in Japan, or for the purchase of a new government airplane for Prime Minister Shinzo Abe. If these items are included, the total budget request would be ¥5.054 trillion, the largest ever for the ministry. It would also come as Mr. Abe continues his program to beef up the country’s defense capabilities.
“So call me a right-wing militarist if you want..”
Citing the continuing need for ocean surveillance amid tensions with China over disputed islands in the East China Sea, the ministry is requesting 20 patrol planes and five patrol helicopters. It is also looking into acquiring an early-warning radar system and aerial drones.
Upping its emphasis on island defense, the ministry is building its newest and westernmost radar base on Yonaguni island in the southern island prefecture of Okinawa.
As part of efforts to create an amphibious force similar to the U.S. Marine Corps, the ministry wants to purchase water-to-land vehicles…(read more)
Write to Toko Sekiguchi at email@example.com
- Japan seeks biggest-ever defense budget amid China tensions (EndtheLie.com)
- Biggest Japan defence budget sought (bbc.co.uk)
- Japan defense min. wants record budget (therebel.org)
- Eyeing China, Japan seeks record defense budget (dailymail.co.uk)
- Japan defence ministry asks for record budget (nation.com.pk)
- Japan to establish military bases near disputed islands in response to China aggression (chinadailymail.com)
- Japan Walks Fine Line Over Ukraine Issue (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Japan Sets Sights on Strengthening South China Sea Surveillance (punditfromanotherplanet.com)