New ISIS Threat: GRID JIHADPosted: September 3, 2014 | |
Congress is looking at legislation to protect the grid via the Critical Infrastructure Protection Act
Paul Bedard reports: Former top government officials who have been warning Washington about the vulnerability of the nation’s largely unprotected electric grid are raising new fears that troops from the jihadist Islamic State are poised to attack the system, leading to a power crisis that could kill millions.
“By one estimate, should the power go out and stay out for over a year, nine out of 10 Americans would likely perish.”
— Frank Gaffney, founder and president of the Center for Security Policy in Washington
“Inadequate grid security, a porous U.S.-Mexico border, and fragile transmission systems make the electric grid a target for ISIS,” said Peter Pry, one of the nation’s leading experts on the grid.
“At the afternoon press conference, Gaffney dubbed the potential crisis the ‘grid jihad.'”
Others joining Pry at a press conference later Wednesday to draw attention to the potential threat said that if just a handful of the nation’s high voltage transformers were knocked out, blackouts would occur across the country.
“By one estimate, should the power go out and stay out for over a year, nine out of 10 Americans would likely perish,” said Frank Gaffney, founder and president of the Center for Security Policy in Washington.
At the afternoon press conference, Gaffney dubbed the potential crisis the “grid jihad.”
A lack of electricity would shut off water systems, impact city transportation services and shutdown hospitals and other big facilities. Fresh and frozen foods also would be impacted as would banks, financial institutions and utilities…(read more)
- New ISIS threat: America’s electric grid; blackout could kill 9 of 10 (redflagnews.com)
- Terrifying New ISIS Threat That Would Cripple the US and Kill 9 out of 10 (madworldnews.com)
- Official: Second illegal immigrant wave of 30,000 coming in September, October (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- Expert: ‘Imminent’ Isis Threat to U.s. Power Grid (thelastgreatstand.com)
- Expert: If US helps electricity in Africa, it can protect against EMPs (watchdog.org)
- Congress wants more answers on EMP threat (humanevents.com)
- Will ISIS Strike America’s Achilles Heel? (conservativebyte.com)
- Simple Math: Is ISIS already living at 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue? (thelastgreatstand.com)
- Terrorist Attack Left All of Yemen In Darkness Last Week: Another Wake-Up Call (fromthetrenchesworldreport.com)
- 3 Mayors in Mexico charged with having links to drug cartel (cbsnews.com)