Al-Shabaab Names New Leader, Vows Revenge for U.S. Strike That Killed Its CommanderPosted: September 6, 2014
“This is definitely a game changer for al-Shabaab and probably a turning point for the organization.”
The group said it had named Ahmed Omar Abu Ubeyd to succeed Ahmed Abdi Godane, who died of wounds sustained in the drone strike Monday in Somalia’s remote Lower Shabelle region, said the group’s spokesman, Abdiasis abu Mus’ab.
“This leader, Ahmed Godane, built the organization around himself for the past three years.”
— Abdi Aynte, head of The Heritage Institute, a Mogadishu-based think tank
“We will not sit alone,” he said, vowing revenge for a strike that appears to have killed not only Mr. Godane but several of his top aides.
Analysts said it was too soon to tell if al-Shabaab was indeed still unified or attempting to forestall its fragmentation after the death of a charismatic leader, who had sidelined or eliminated other powerful figures in the group since taking over in 2008.
Somali President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud has appealed to al-Shabaab members to defect in a statement. “I say to the members of al-Shabaab: Godane is dead and now is the chance for members of al-Shabaab to embrace peace,” he said.
Al-Shabaab has been formally allied with al Qaeda since 2012—a partnership that is largely credited to Mr. Godane…..(read more)
—Heidi Vogt contributed to this article.
- Somalia terror group: Our leader is dead (usnews.com)
- al-Shabaab leader killed in airstrikes – Pentagon (en.starafrica.com)
- Pentagon Confirms Death of Islamist Group Al-Shabab Co-Founder (novinite.com)
- U.S. strike kills Somalia’s notorious Al Shabab leader (thestar.com)
- Al-Shabaab Leader Reportedly Killed in Drone Strike (legalinsurrection.com)
- Confirmed: al-Shabaab leader Ahmed Godane killed in US air strike (hotair.com)
- Score One for Drones: U.S. Kills Al-Shabaab Leader (nationalreview.com)
- U.S. Hits al-Shabaab in Somalia (legalinsurrection.com)
- BOOTS + GROUND: U.S. Forces Carry Out Operation Against Al-Shabaab in Somalia (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- REPORT: Al-Shabaab Claims Three Americans Among Gunmen in Kenya Mall (punditfromanotherplanet.com)