Russian Website Hosts Terror PropagandaPosted: September 8, 2014
Adam Kredo reports: Propaganda and media accounts associated with the Islamic State of Iraq and Levant (ISIL or ISIS) are now being hosted by a Russian social media platform after the terror group was thrown off U.S. sites such as Twitter, according to a new intelligence report.
“The fastest-growing sectarian minority in Russia is also the one being radicalized. You’re going to get a sizable minority of the radicalized Muslims in Russia that will be at least intrigued by ISIL.”
At least 18 official ISIL accounts responsible for disseminating the group’s violent propaganda, including two videos of Americans being beheaded, are currently being hosted by the VK website, Russia’s largest social network, according to an intelligence brief released by the SITE Intelligence Group.
“Regional experts said that while the Russian officials may not be formally behind the movement of these ISIL accounts, it is likely some are turning a blind eye due to the terror group’s rabid anti-Americanism.”
VK, which resembles Facebook, has upwards of 250 million subscribers and is known for hosting the social media site of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who, along with his brother Tamerlan, executed the April 2013 bombing of the Boston Marathon.
The relocation of ISIL’s official accounts to Russia highlights the challenge governments face in combatting the media-savvy terror group’s online presence. It also raises questions about the Russian government’s ability to stem the growing radicalization among its Muslim population, which has risen exponentially, experts say.
VK has served as the “primary location” for ISIL and its affiliates to disseminate propaganda and various announcements, according to SITE. ISIL planned to release the video of its followers beheading American journalist Steven Sotloff on VK, the intelligence group said in its report.
ISIL’s leading disseminators of terrorist propaganda are said to have been operating on VK since at least August, according to SITE. At least 15 of the 18 accounts officially represent ISIL’s local branches, such as those in Damascus and throughout Iraq, the brief said.
The ISIL accounts on VK behave similarly to those recently hosted on Twitter, which has cracked down on users associated with the group in recent weeks. The ISIL accounts publish “promotional videos, magazines, and other material,” according to SITE…(read more)
- Strip Citizenship From Anyone Supporting ISIS or ISIL – Ted Cruz (iowntheworld.com)
- Poll: Majority back military action against Islamic State (telegraph.co.uk)
- ISIL, Al Qaeda Gaining Ground in Pakistan, Afghanistan (freebeacon.com)
- British Citizen DAVID CAWTHORNE HAYNES Identified as Next ISIS Hostage to be Beheaded (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Obama rallies the nation after second beheading: ‘Shrink’ ISIS until it’s a ‘manageable problem’ (hotair.com)
- Now they tell us: ISIS a threat to U.S. (legalinsurrection.com)
- First Pics: Nigerian Muslim “Fat Nick” Held in Beheading of London Grandmother (thegatewaypundit.com)