Sharyl Attkisson: Multiple Controversies Plagued Eric Holder Prior to ResignationPosted: September 26, 2014
Sharyl Attkisson writes: The unexpected resignation of Attorney General Eric Holder follows a series of court rulings against his Department of Justice over its failure to produce documents related to the government’s “Fast and Furious” firearms operation.
Holder also has come under increasing congressional criticism for a tepid investigation of evidence that IRS officials deliberately targeted tea party and other conservative groups for greater scrutiny when they applied for tax-exempt status.
Calling the government’s arguments for “even more time … unconvincing,” a federal judge this week refused to grant Holder’s Justice Department the additional time it requested to turn over a list of Operation Fast and Furious documents withheld under executive privilege exerted by President Obama.
The list is referred to as a “Vaughn index” and requires the Justice Department to justify document-by-document the reasons it hasn’t released the materials. This exercise alone often prompts the release of documents.
The Justice Department sought to delay the Vaughn index until one day before the Nov. 4 midterm elections. But the court ordered the index produced by Oct. 22 instead. The order comes in a Freedom of Information lawsuit filed by Judicial Watch.
“[S]eventy-five days—plus another twenty-one, based in part on Judiciary Watch’s consent—is enough time for the government to prepare the index that this court has ordered, given that this matter has been pending for over two years,” wrote U.S. District Court Judge John Bates… (read more)
- Court Orders DOJ to Release List of Fast and Furious Docs (freebeacon.com)
- BREAKING: Another Reason Why Holder Resigned (conservativeinfidel.com)
- Judge gives Holder ‘Fast & Furious’ ultimatum (mobile.wnd.com)
- Judge Denies DOJ Request to Delay Release of Fast and Furious Document List (dancingczars.wordpress.com)
- Final Deadline Set For Oct. 22: Federal Judge Orders DOJ To Release List Of Fast & Furious Documents (patdollard.com)
- Breaking: Holder resigning as AG (hotair.com)
- SCANDAL UPDATE: Sharyl Attkisson: Six Serious Questions Regarding Elusive Federal Documents. “Whe… (pjmedia.com)