In Memory: Ceylan Ozalp, Kurdish YPG FighterPosted: September 28, 2014
UPDATE 2: German Magazine BILD Features Ceylan Özalp Story — ‘Peshmerga Fighter: Suicide Out of Fear of ISIS Rape’
Ceylan Ozalp (19), known from the BBC report about Kurdish YPG Women fighters led today with several comrades in the northern Syrian Kurdish city Kobani resistance against the ISIS terrorists.
In Kurdish areas of northern Syria, fighters have been battling Islamic State – or ISIS – for two years – and unlike Iraq’s kurdish forces, they get no help from the west. Gabriel Gatehouse has been northern Syria to meet some of those taking on the jihadists.
“We’re not scared of anything. We’ll fight to the last. We’d rather blow ourselves up than be captured by ISIS.”
— Ceylan Ozalp
Surrounded on all sides and set under attack, she lost all her friends. She fought alone against the supernumerary terrorists. When she had no more ammunition and recognized the hopeless situation, she said goodbye over her radio and killed herself with the last bullet so that she don’t to fall into the hands of the rapists.
“We’re not scared of anything,” she said. “We’ll fight to the last. We’d rather blow ourselves up than be captured by ISIS.”
Rest in Peace Heroine
via Free Kurdistan
UPDATED: See – The Mystery of Ceylan Ozalp
— Dykefede (@dykefede) September 29, 2014
LIVE LEAK’s post (which links here) features what appears to be anti-US, anti-Kurdish commentary, cracks about U.S. terror raiders, an unsupported claim that claim that Kurdish defensive positions were bombed by the U.S., resulting in up to 15 Kurdish casualties in Yarubiya (misspelled, of course) and casually smears Ceylan Ozalp’s legitimacy in what appears to be little more than a thinly-veiled celebration of Ceylan Ozalp’s alleged suicide. Frankly, it’s difficult to tell what point of view is being expressed.
While we await additional independent confirmation of Ceylan Ozalp’s reported battlefield suicide, see our latest update: BILD Features Ceylan Özalp Story
The comments section in the LIVE LEAK item are long and divisive. Among the sentimental glorification of Ceylan Ozalp’s heroic status, at least one commenter calls out the poster of the anti-Kurdish snark as either an ISIS member, or an ISIS sympathizer.
UPDATE: following Twitter’s emerging #CeylanOzalp thread
— Serdar Dalkir (@SerdarDalkir) September 30, 2014
- ISIS Fighting Getting Closer to Capturing Syrian Border Town of Kobani From Kurdish Forces (matthewaid.com)
- MIDDLE EAST FORUM: The Defense of Kobani By Dr. JONATHAN SPYER (yonkerstribune.com)
- Refugee Flood Heightens Long-Standing Tensions Between Turks and Kurds (news.nationalgeographic.com)
- 200K flee Syria in 4 days, monitor says (wsbt.com)
- U.S. and its allies strike ISIS tank, refineries and checkpoints (fox6now.com)
- ISIS advances as Obama dithers (powerlineblog.com)
- Shame On Congress: America Should Be Arming The Kurds, Not ISIS-Aligned Syrian Rebels (dailycaller.com)
- Kurdish Female Peshmerga Fighters Take Oath to Fight ISIS in Iraq (Video) (thegatewaypundit.com)
- ISIS Is An Election Year Ploy To Scare Voters And Elect Republicans (dailycaller.com)
- Bob Woodward Raises Specter Of New 9/11 With ISIS [VIDEO] (dailycaller.com)