UPDATE: IBTimes Reports on Alleged Battlefield Suicide of YPG Fighter Ceylan OzalpPosted: October 3, 2014
“We’re not scared of anything. We’ll fight to the last. We’d rather blow ourselves up than be captured by Isis.”
— Ceylan Ozalp
UPDATE: after several days of trying to find authentication of the Ceylan Ozalp story, we’ve seen a few modest breakthroughs. First, a German magazine picked up the story. And this morning, an item appeared by Gianluca Mezzofiore, an investigative reporter for IBTimes UK. Though it also can’t verify the authenticity of the report on her suicide, it’s the first article in English that we’ve seen to take on the story, and look into it.
It also contains a link to BBC’s Gabriel Gatehouse’s report, which I’d missed (we’ve linked Gatehouse’s BBC video, but not the article) It’s possible that Gatehouse is the only western journalist to meet and talk to Ceylan Ozalp while she was alive. And Mezzofiore may be the first investigative reporter to take what has so far only appeared in Turkish media outlets, circulated by pro-Kurdish politicians, and echoed by countless social media sites and blogs, but few, if any, news organizations, or western media outlets. We’ll add new updates as they come.
For example, this tweet appeared about nine hours ago. I wonder what newspaper is displayed in this photo? If anyone knows let us know.
— PIRDHAN_BALOCH (@PIRDHAN_BALOCH) October 3, 2014
Syria: 19-Year-Old Kurdish Woman Fighter Kills Herself Rather Than Falling into Isis Hands
A 19-year-old Kurdish fighter who appeared on a BBC report about Kurdish YPG women warriors in Syria has reportedly killed herself rather than falling into the hands of Isis (now known as Islamic State).
Ceylan Ozalp: ‘One of our women is worth a hundred of their [Isis] men’
Ceylan Ozalp found herself surrounded by Islamic State forces near the northern Syrian Kurdish city of Kobani, where a key battle is raging against the Sunni Islamists’ threat.
With a lack of ammunition and in a hopeless situation, Ozalp said goodbye over the radio “and killed herself with the last bullet so that she doesn’t fall into the hands of the rapists”, according to one report.
However, other sources suggested that Ozalp never left Jezaa in northern Syria, where Kurdish forces are still in control…(read more)
- In Memory: Ceylan Ozalp, Kurdish YPG Fighter (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- UPDATE: German Magazine BILD Features Ceylan Özalp Story – ‘Peshmerga Fighter: Suicide Out of Fear of ISIS Rape’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- RIP Ceylan Ozalp (imgur.com)
- Turkey Votes To Authorize Military Strikes On ISIS, Including Ground Troops (patdollard.com)
- Australia joins fight against ISIS in Iraq (edition.cnn.com)
- The Mystery of Ceylan Ozalp (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- ISIS Posts Heads of Prostitutes and Kurdish Fighters on Fence in Syria (thegatewaypundit.com)
- US Marine From Wisconsin Joins Kurdish Forces to Fight ISIS (thegatewaypundit.com)
- Saving Kobanê: The Town that the World Can’t Afford to Lose to ISIS (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Turkey Votes to Authorize Military Strikes on ISIS, Including Ground Troops (nationalreview.com)