UPDATE: Kurdish Fighter Ceylan Özalp Reported Alive; Contradicts Earlier Unsubstantiated ClaimsPosted: October 6, 2014
For War In Context, Paul Woodward finds growing credibility in the “Ceylan Ozalp is alive” counter-story, bolstered by affirmations by Kurdish journalist Müjgan Halis and PKK defense lawyer Ayla Akat Ata. In his comments, Woodward considers these sources authoritative, and is inclined to think they’re likely true. Which reopens questions about Ozalp’s fate, and should spark interest in this mysterious Kurdish fighter’s whereabouts.
Note: The above photo, purporting to be Ceylan Ozalp, in circulation on Tumblr sites, isn’t new, it appeared around the time of the initial BBC broadcast about Kurdish Women fighters.
Here’s the thing: If Ceylan is not dead, and can identify herself online somewhere, or to a reporter, or to someone with a camera, the best and only evidence that truly can confirm Ozalp is alive is Ceylan Ozalp herself.
At the same time, no one has been able to verify that the dramatic claim that Ceylan Ozalp suicide story is true, either. Which lends a degree of credibility to the challenges made by the growing number of skeptics.
I don’t know enough about the sources, and haven’t explored these new reports enough to have an opinion, other than to say, beware of false or premature conclusions. And be thankful that not everyone believes the first thing they read, and considers it a fact. Because so many readers embraced a sentimental narrative about the bravery of a female Kurdish warrior who happens to be photogenic, this is all the more reason to be wary, and to question how the story is being presented. Good update by Paul Woodward, let’s hope we learn more.
“19-Year-Old Kurdish Woman Fighter ‘Kills Herself Rather Than Falling into Isis’ Hands’” is a headline appearing in International Business Times, October 3. I referred to the same story in this post, but it appears not to be true.
Reports on Kurdish fighter Ceylan Özalp are false, She is alive& based in Til Kocar not Kobane(incident took place). pic.twitter.com/t96UpjXkWt
— Gudaw English (@GudawEnglish) October 4, 2014
The first appearance of this story is thought to be this tweet on September 28 from @cansuipek21.
The tragic image of a nineteen-year-old woman fighter killing herself with her last bullet so that she would not be captured by ISIS, must have seemed iconic to many observers — a graphic representation of the plight Kurdish fighters in Kobane face, surrounded on three sides by ISIS while receiving no support from Turkey and very little from U.S. airstrikes. Sometimes a story conveys a powerful truth even when it turns out not to be true.
Müjgan Halis, a Kurdish journalist, has tweeted (as have others) that Özalp is alive. This was retweeted by the politician Ayla Akat Ata (who was a defense lawyer for Abdullah Ocalan, leader of the PKK). At this point, I’m inclined to treat their word as authoritative.
This should be good news for everyone apart from ISIS.
In early September, Gabriel Gatehouse reported: Around a third of the Syrian Kurdish force is made up of women. On the front lines they fight alongside the men, taking the same risks and facing the same dangers….(read more)
- BREAKING: Al Arabia Reports on Ceylan Ozalp Story; Verification Remains Elusive (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- The Mystery of Ceylan Ozalp (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- UPDATE: IBTimes Reports on Alleged Battlefield Suicide of YPG Fighter Ceylan Ozalp (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Syria: 19-Year-Old Kurdish Woman Fighter ‘Kills Herself Rather Than Falling into Isis’ Hands’ (ibtimes.co.uk)
- Viva Kurdistan! Ceylan Ozalp, a Kurdish Hero, a Marvelous Woman (venitism.blogspot.com)
- Isis captures Syrian Kurdish village (morningstaronline.co.uk)
- Propagandistic fabrication towards Israel (blogs.timesofisrael.com)
- In Memory: Ceylan Ozalp, Kurdish YPG Fighter (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- UPDATE: German Magazine BILD Features Ceylan Özalp Story – ‘Peshmerga Fighter: Suicide Out of Fear of ISIS Rape’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- FEMALE KURDISH FIGHTER Clashes With ISIS, Fires Grenades, Then Blows Herself Up in Suicide Blast (thegatewaypundit.com)