Ebola Cases May Reach 10,000 Weekly, Virus Killing 70% of People Who Contract DiseasePosted: October 14, 2014 | |
U.N. Health Body Aims to Have Majority of Cases Isolated Within Two Months to Reverse Outbreak
WHO: Virus is Killing 70% of People Who Contract Disease
“Every time you isolate another patient, every time you have a safe burial, you’re taking some of the heat out of this outbreak.”
— WHO assistant director-general Dr. Bruce Aylward
Dr. Bruce Aylward, the WHO assistant director-general in charge of the organization’s response to the epidemic, said the Ebola virus is “still moving geographically, still escalating” in some bigger cities. He expressed concern the disease could spread to countries that share borders with Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia, the epicenters of the current outbreak, singling out Côte d’Ivoire as particularly vulnerable.
Dr. Aylward pushed for adoption of the WHO’s goal to safely bury 70% of the people killed by Ebola and treat 70% those with the disease within 60 days, a plan it’s dubbed 70-70-60, to help prevent the spread of the disease.
The WHO’s latest numbers indicated 8,914 suspected or confirmed Ebola cases and 4,447 deaths from the disease. Based on those numbers, the mortality rate is…(read more)
Write to Andrew Morse at email@example.com
- Ebola death rate up to 70%: WHO (gulfnews.com)
- Ebola death rate up to 70 percent: WHO (news.yahoo.com)
- WHO: Ebola death rate rises to 70 percent (abc7.com)
- UN health agency says death rate in current Ebola outbreak has increased to 70 per cent (edmontonjournal.com)
- WHO predicts 10,000 new Ebola cases — per week… (hosted.ap.org)
- Ebola crisis: Death rate is 70%; 10,000 new cases a week feared (mercurynews.com)