Iron Man is Forever. Robert Downey Jr. Isn’tPosted: October 20, 2014
After weeks of back and forth, will he or won’t he, Marvel finally announced Robert Downey Jr.‘s next appearance as Tony Stark / Iron Man, playing counterpoint to Chris Evans’ Steve Roger in the NSA-fueled Captain America 3.
But the most interesting part of the announcement is this behind-the-scenes blurb from Variety:
Originally, Marvel wanted to hire Downey for a small role, which would have required just three weeks of work. But Downey wanted Stark to have a more substantial role in the film’s plot, which would give him more screen time and naturally a bigger payday. This angered Marvel Entertainment chief Ike Perlmutter, who ordered the screenwriters to write Iron Man out of the script entirely, according to sources with knowledge of the situation.
[Order the Big Box Iron Man 3 Movie Collection: Iron Man / Iron Man 2 / Iron Man 3 [Blu-ray]
Robert Downey Jr. is Tony Stark. Tony Stark, likewise, is Robert Downey Jr. (with a dash of Elon Musk). There’s no point arguing otherwise; so much of Stark the character feels like an extension of Downey’s own. Marvel Studios has merged the two personalities into one inextricably linked entity, which is why Marvel is more likely to write the character out completely rather than recasting.
But while Robert Downey Jr. may always be Tony Stark, he won’t always be Iron Man. And now that all of Marvel’s movies are arguably one expansive story, the future of Iron Man is decidedly less certain — and at the same time, way more interesting.
Note: we’re gonna be talking at length about rumors, which may feel like potential spoilers for future movies. Consider yourself warned…(read more)
- Marvel pissed off, may remove Downey as Iron Man after Avengers 2 (prommanow.com)
- A Very Civil War Between Kevin Feige And Isaac Perlmutter? (bleedingcool.com)
- Robert Downey Jr. Signs on for CAPTAIN AMERICA 3, Which Will Launch Civil War Storyline (geektyrant.com)
- Robert Downey Jr. to join Captain America 3 and introduce the [SPOILER] storyline (nerdreactor.com)
- ‘Captain America 3′ Starts Marvel’s Civil War, Robert Downey Jr. Joins Cast (jpgdic.com)