The Usual Suspects: Putin Critic Alexei Navalny and Brother ‘Found Guilty’ of FraudPosted: December 30, 2014
The Navalny brothers were found guilty of embezzling 26.7 million rubles ($470,000) from cosmetics company Yves Rocher Vostok and stealing more than 4.4 million rubles ($80,000) from a processing company between 2008 and 2013.
Critics have called the charges politically motivated. Alexei, an anti-corruption blogger and critic of Russian President Vladimir Putin, has maintained his innocence.
The judge on Tuesday gave Alexei a suspended sentence of three years and six months while Oleg was sentenced to prison for the same amount of time.
Alexei yelled angrily as the sentence against his brother was read in the courtroom.
The brothers were also ordered to pay a fine of more than 4 million rubles ($70,000) to the Multi-Profile Processing Company.
Alexei urged his supporters to “take to the streets” on Tuesday to protest the politically motivated charges and, despite being under house arrest after the trial concluded, tweeted a picture of himself en route to Manezh square to join the demonstration….(read more)
- Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny gets 3.5-year suspended sentence (gantdaily.com)
- Russian oppositionist Alexey Navalny and his brother found guilty in fraud case (in.rbth.com)
- Alexei Navalny, Kremlin critic, condemns brother’s jail sentence – video (theguardian.com)
- Kremlin critic gets suspended sentence (kspr.com)
- Russian Opposition Leader Navalny Found Guilty (wsj.com)
- Kremlin critic convicted (rss.cnn.com)
- Top Russia opposition leader Navalny gets 3.5-year suspended sentence (businessinsider.com)