South Korean Activist Plans to Launch The Interview DVDs into North KoreaPosted: December 31, 2014
A South Korean activist said Wednesday that he will launch balloons carrying DVDs of Sony’s “The Interview” toward North Korea to try to break down a personality cult built around dictator Kim Jong Un.
The comedy depicting an assassination attempt on Kim is at the center of tension between North Korea and the U.S., with Washington blaming Pyongyang for crippling hacking attacks on Sony Entertainment. Pyongyang denies that and has vowed to retaliate.
“North Korea’s absolute leadership will crumble if the idolization of leader Kim breaks down.”
— Activist Park Sang-hak
Activist Park Sang-hak said he will start dropping 100,000 DVDs and USBs with the movie by balloon in North Korea as early as late January. Park, a North Korean defector, said he’s partnering with the U.S.-based non-profit Human Rights Foundation, which is financing the making of the DVDs and USB memory sticks of the movie with Korean subtitles.
Park said foundation officials plan to visit South Korea around Jan. 20 to hand over the DVDs and USBs, and that he and the officials will then try to float the first batch of the balloons if weather conditions allow.
“North Korea’s absolute leadership will crumble if the idolization of leader Kim breaks down,” Park said by telephone.
If carried out, the move was expected to enrage North Korea, which expressed anger over the movie. In October, the country opened fire at giant balloons carrying anti-Pyongyang propaganda leaflets floated across the border by South Korean activists, trigging an exchange of gunfire with South Korean troops.(read more)
- Activist vows to float balloons carrying DVDs of The Interview over North Korea (theguardian.com)
- South Korean to drop Sony film in North by balloon (wbrz.com)
- South Korean to drop balloons carrying ‘The Interview’ in North Korea (ctvnews.ca)
- South Korean activist to airdrop 100,000 copies of The Interview in North (yahoonewsdigest-intl.tumblr.com)
- South Korean to drop Sony film in North by balloon (bostonherald.com)