STICKIN’ IT TO THE MAN: ‘I refuse to comply with the requirements of my illegal detention under house arrest. The bracelet with some effort has been cut off with kitchen scissors’Posted: January 5, 2015
Putin Critic Alexei Navalny Defies House Arrest
Navalny received suspended sentence on 30 December for embezzling money but was not released from house arrest
Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny said on Monday he would no longer comply with the terms of his house arrest and had cut off his monitoring tag.
Navalny, who led mass protests against Vladimir Putin three years ago, was handed a suspended sentence on 30 December after being found guilty of embezzling money in a trial that led to his brother being jailed on similar charges.
“It is stupid to brag, but I am the first person in the history of Russian courts to be sitting under house arrest after the verdict.”
He was placed under house arrest almost a year ago during the investigation but said in a blog that he was perhaps the only person in Russian legal history to be kept under house arrest after being sentenced.
He said he should have been released after sentencing in late December but instead was being held pending the publication of the verdict on 15 January – a situation that even the police did not know how to deal with.
“It is stupid to brag, but I am the first person in the history of Russian courts to be sitting under house arrest after the verdict,” he said on his blog.
“I refuse to comply with the requirements of my illegal detention under house arrest. The bracelet with some effort has been cut off with kitchen scissors,” he wrote, alongside a picture of the bracelet, or tag, that monitors his movements. He said he had no plans to travel far.
- Suspended jail term for Kremlin critic (bt24news.com)
- Russian opposition leader arrested after calls to destroy Vladimir Putin’s regime (mirror.co.uk)
- Russian opposition activist Alexei Navalny reacts to the decision by a Moscow court to give him a suspended sentence of 3.5 years (rbth.co.uk)
- Putin critic gets suspended sentence (debatepolitics.com)
- Kremlin critic Alexei Navalny gets suspended sentence but brother jailed (theguardian.com)
- Putin Foe Alexei Navalny Detained by Police (time.com)
- Opposition leader Navalny receives 3.5-year suspended sentence (therebel.website)
- Thousands of people in Russia are about to protest (techknowd.blogspot.com)
- Putin foe Alexei Navalny detained by police (seattletimes.com)