Chinese Newspaper Condemns Paris Attack, But Says Exposes Dangers of Press FreedomPosted: January 8, 2015
Clifford Coonan reports: A state-run Chinese newspaper has run a commentary condemning the terror attack on the Charlie Hebdo magazine, but at the same time underlined how the incident exposes the dangers of press freedom.
“Even after China officially determines their terrorist nature, Western mainstream media puts quotation marks when describing these bloody assaults as ‘terrorist,’ saying that it is a claim of the Chinese government. This always upsets Chinese people.”
“We notice that many Western leaders and mainstream media outlets highlighted their support for press freedom when commenting on the incident. This remains open to question,” ran the commentary in the Global Times newspaper, part of the group that publishes the official Communist Party newspaper, the People’s Daily.
“It’s inspiring that mainstream opinion worldwide supports Paris. But if the West can be milder in expressing cultural clashes and consider the feelings of many others, it would be very rewarding and respectable.”
China’s media are all state-controlled and content is heavily censored, and the ruling Communist Party keeps a tight grip on dissenting views and rejects calls for greater press freedom, saying it is Western core value.
“If the West thinks of globalization as an absolute expansion and victory of certain values, then it is in for endless trouble.”
The attack should make Western governments and media rethink their approach to press freedom when it comes to causing conflict with other cultures.
“But in these globalized times, when their acts contradict with the core values of other societies, the West should have the awareness to ease conflicts, instead of heightening them in accordance with its own values in a zero-sum manner,” it said.
The commentary said that Western dominance of global opinion meant non-Western societies had difficulties getting disagreements heard by the world.
“If the West thinks of globalization as an absolute expansion and victory of certain values, then it is in for endless trouble,” it said….(read more)
- China and the U.S. are Racing to Turn Poor, Naive Millennials into Spies (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Chinese Newspaper: The Interview Shows Hollywood’s ‘Senseless Cultural Arrogance’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Advanced Paranoia: Russian newspaper accuses China of spying through kettles (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Good News: Hospital no longer needs virgin blood (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Japan objects as Chinese paper prints mushroom clouds on map (chinadailymail.com)
- Chinese nuclear submarines capable of widespread attack on U.S. (punditfromanotherplanet.com)