Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Tycoon’s Home, Business Attacked with FirebombsPosted: January 12, 2015
Hong Kong activists kicked off a long-threatened mass civil disobedience protest Sunday to challenge Beijing over restrictions on voting reforms, escalating the battle for democracy in the former British colony after police arrested dozens of student demonstrators.
HONG KONG – Hong Kong police are investigating after small firebombs were thrown at the home and business of a pro-democracy media magnate in an apparent intimidation attempt.
“The goal is intimidation…a continuation of the attacks against Mr. Lai and Next Media for its editorial position, which is at odds with the anti-democracy forces.”
— Next Media spokesman Mark Simon
Surveillance video showed a car backing up to the gates of Jimmy Lai‘s home early Monday and a masked attacker getting out and throwing what looks to be a Molotov cocktail before driving off.
At about the same time, another incendiary device was thrown from a car at the entrance to his Next Media company. Its publications include the flagship pro-democracy Apple Daily, one of the city’s most popular newspapers.
No one was injured and the small fires were quickly extinguished. The cars used in the attacks were later found burned out and stripped of their license plates, according to local media reports.
Lai is well known as a critic of Beijing and a staunch supporter of Hong Kong’s pro-democracy movement, which occupied streets for 11 weeks last year to press their demands for free elections. He was among the thousands of protesters who were tear-gassed by police as the protest movement erupted in September.
Lai was one of the many people arrested by police when they moved in to shut the protest camps down in December. Shortly after, he stepped down as chairman of Next, citing family and personal reasons, but remains the controlling shareholder….(read more)
- Hong Kong pro-democracy tycoon’s home, business attacked (nzherald.co.nz)
- Hong Kong Pro-Democracy Tycoon’s Home, Business Attacked (abcnews.go.com)
- Protesters Slam Oprah Winfrey for Leadership Comments (techgadgettalk.com)
- HK media magnate Jimmy Lai quits after democracy protest arrest (yahoonewsdigest-intl.tumblr.com)
- UK Police misusing bail to curb protest movement (therebel.website)
- Revealed: Police using pre-charge bail to muzzle protesters (theguardian.com)
- Hong Kong Court Drops Joshua Wong’s Case, Awards Damages (theepochtimes.com)