Prime Instant Allen: Woody Allen to Create a Television Series for…Amazon?Posted: January 13, 2015
“I don’t know how I got into this. I have no ideas, and I’m not sure where to begin. My guess is that Roy Price will regret this.”
“I don’t know how I got into this. I have no ideas, and I’m not sure where to begin. My guess is that [Amazon Studios Vice President] Roy Price will regret this,” Mr. Allen said in a news release about the project, which is still unnamed.
[An outbreak of mockery ensues at Twitter #WoodyAllenTVShowNames]
Amazon has commissioned a full season, with half-hour episodes available on its Prime Instant Video. The will be the first television project by Mr. Allen, who has worked on films such as “Annie Hall” and “Midnight in Paris.” He has won four Oscars.
On Sunday, Amazon’s “Transparent”—about a California family whose father comes out as transgender—took home two Golden Globes at the 72nd annual awards: best musical or comedy TV series, and best actor in a musical or comedy series for actor Jeffrey Tambor. This is the first Golden Globe win for an Amazon show.
In 2010, Amazon began moving into the area of producing television content, which has been led by Netflix with hits such as the Emmy-winning “House of Cards.” In addition to “Transparent,” Amazon produces “Alpha House,” a political comedy about four politicians who live together, written by Doonesbury comic strip creator Garry Trudeau, and several children’s shows. This year, it plans to introduce five new shows….(read more)
- Woody Allen to produce Amazon TV series (newsday.com)
- Amazon Studios Signs Woody Allen to Create His First TV Series (collider.com)
- The Wall Street Journal: Amazon signs Woody Allen to create a television series (marketwatch.com)
- Amazon Studios partners with Woody Allen for his first ever television series (betanews.com)
- Esquire:Woody Allen Will Create a TV Series for Amazon (esquire.com)
- Woody Allen strikes a deal with Amazon for new series (fortune.com)