Elizabeth Scalia: Twilight of the VaginasPosted: January 18, 2015 | |
Yet I am a woman with a vagina, and this becomes an area of my concern when people start saying that I shouldn’t reference or acknowledge that—that it’s in fact bad and intolerant so 20th century to even speak about it. The fact that some trans women don’t have vaginas doesn’t negate the fact that the vast majority of women do. And now, in the name of feminism, “female-validating talk about vaginas is now forbidden,” as one anonymous writer on a Mount Holyoke messageboard put it. “That’s so misogynistic under the guise of ‘progress.’”
Well, in my book, it kind of is progress. For the past 20 years or so, women have been gushing over their vaginas and waving their vaginas around as though they were unique to humanity; they’ve been oh-so-daring and counter-cultural, really putting it to the man by shoving their vaginas in everyone’s faces, taking their vaginas out for spa days, carrying them around in public conversations as though they were a trendy pet (or as Eve Ensler might have said, “my vagina is an chihuahua that growls at strangers and runs to the door to greet my gender-unstipulated friends! I dress my chihuahau-vagina up like Princess Leia for Halloween! I put tiny poppin’ fresh cinnamon rolls on each side of my labia…).
Vaginas have not only become a big business, for the matriarchy the vagina and its attendant parts have served as totems for feminism, and since ladies are good at crafts, you need only slip a few words into a search engine to find vagina earrings, vagina megaphones (echo…echo…); vagina soaps; knitted vaginas that cover tissue boxes, crocheted catnip vagina toys for their…kittykats.
And then finally — finally! — a woman brought vagina-crafting to its zenith — or its nadir — and started knitting out of her vagina, over the course of a full 28 days, to insure the inclusion of every bit of her vaginal goodness.
What a glorious day that was! Once women were able to deliver something really creative out of their vaginas — like a stained 12-foot scarf, instead of some boring, unspecial thing like an infant the world doesn’t really need — the full emancipation of all vaginas had finally come. Capable of coaxing what is not life from vaginas, they have achieved godhead. Nothing more need be done….(reading more)
- “Women Without Vaginas” Cause Cancellation Of Vagina Monologues At Women’s College (citizens-news.com)
- Women’s college cancels ‘Vagina Monologues’ to not offend transgender students (foxnews.com)
- Vagina Monologues playwright: ‘It never said a woman is someone with a vagina’ (theguardian.com)
- Women’s College Cancels ‘Vagina Monologues’ Because It Excludes Women Without Vaginas (reason.com)
- College Cancels “Vagina Monologues” Because It Excludes Vagina-less Women (everyjoe.com)
- The Vagina Monologues (nyackvillagetheatre.ticketleap.com)
- Princess Leia (floobynooby.blogspot.com)
- All-Women’s College Cancels ‘Vagina Monologues’ Because It’s Not Feminist Enough (amren.com)
- Cruel and Unusual: Community College Staff Forced To Watch ‘Vagina Monologues’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Vagina Monologues Not Feminist Enough For Women’s College (dailycaller.com)