Soccer Star Hope Solo Suspended for 30 DaysPosted: January 21, 2015 Filed under: Crime & Corruption, Entertainment, U.S. News | Tags: 2010 FIFA World Cup, California, Hope Solo, Jerramy Stevens, Manhattan Beach, National Women's Soccer League, Seattle, Seattle Seahawks, United States Soccer Federation, United States women's national soccer team Leave a comment
U.S. women’s national soccer team goalkeeper Hope Solo was suspended for 30 days and will not participate in matches during the team’s Europe trip next month.
The suspension comes after the arrest of her husband, Jeremy Stevens, earlier this week on suspicion of driving under the influence. U.S. Soccer did not specify the reason for the suspension.
[Also see – The National Women’s Soccer League’s Domestic Violence Problem: Hope Solo Arrested, Jailed, in Family Abuse Scandal]
Solo was in the car when the former Seattle Seahawks tight end was pulled over in Manhattan Beach, California early Monday morning for driving without headlights on. Solo was not arrested or detained.
[More – Assault charges against Hope Solo dismissed]
The 33-year-old goalkeeper was in Southern California for training camp with the U.S. national team, which is preparing to play in the World Cup starting in June.
“During our current national team camp, Hope made a poor decision that has resulted in a negative impact on U.S. Soccer and her teammates,” coach Jill Ellis said in a statement. “We feel at this time it is best for her to step away from the team.”
Solo, who has won two Olympic gold medals with the U.S. team, was released from camp.
“I accept and respect the Federation’s decision, and more importantly, I apologize for disappointing my teammates, coaches and the Federation who have always supported me,” Solo said in a statement emailed to The Associated Press on Wednesday night. “I think it’s best for me to take a break, decompress from the stress of the last several months, and come back mentally and physically ready to positively contribute to the team.”
The domestic violence charges stemmed from an incident with her half-sister and 17-year-old nephew in June….(read more)
- Goalkeeper Hope Solo suspended from US women s team; was in car during husband s DUI stop (vancouverdesi.com)
- Hope Solo and NFL tight end wed after domestic altercation morning of their wedding (dailycaller.com)
- Just some huge Great Whites hanging out under paddleboarders [VIDEO] (dailycaller.com)
- Washington state lawmaker calls Arizona ‘racist wasteland’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- [VIDEO] Inside the Earthquake: Seattle Seahawks Fans Rock Stadium Again (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Enthusiasm FAIL: Seahawks Sweatshirt Shoplifting Leads To Stabbing (punditfromanotherplanet.com)