Open Carry: More Common Than You ThinkPosted: January 28, 2015
Rani Molla reports:
“Concealed carry—you don’t know who’s doing it and it doesn’t cause as much concern as open carry. One is a danger you know, and one is a danger you don’t know.”
— Laura Cutilletta, senior staff attorney at the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence
Gun-rights advocates see the practice as a way to normalize gun ownership and deter crime, while gun-control activists believe carrying guns in stores and restaurants is disruptive to the public and encourages violence.
Recently, Target, Starbucks and Chipotle have asked their patrons not to bring their guns. After petitions by gun-control groups such as Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America, Kroger said it would uphold local and state laws in the 34 states it operates.
Carrying a firearm in a concealed manner is legal in all states, but open carry has more restrictions, especially for handguns.
(Open Carry is way more normal than most people think: http://t.co/cFFC2p2ukK)
— Charles C. W. Cooke (@charlescwcooke) January 29, 2015
Though federal law doesn’t restrict the open carrying of handguns in public, several states—including California, Florida, Illinois, New York, South Carolina and Texas—ban the practice, according to the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence. Thirteen states require a special permit or license to open carry. The remaining 31 states don’t require one. The laws are different for long guns, which are commonly associated with hunting.
Why is open carry causing so much of a stir when concealed carry is so widespread?(read more)
- Legislature weighs change on chamber open carry rule (q13fox.com)
- Senator Don Huffines to Sponsor Constitutional Carry Legislation in the Texas Senate (ammoland.com)
- Legislature weighs ban on openly carrying guns in chamber (komonews.com)
- Rep. Taylor opposes new Capitol rules on open-carry for guns (yakimaherald.com)
- WA: Lt. Gov. Brad Owen notices that Open Carry is Protected Free Speech (gunwatch.blogspot.com)
- Maine: Anti-Gun Standish Town Measure Defeated (ammoland.com)
- 2nd Amendment For Whites Only? Conservatives Freak Out Over New Black Panthers Carrying Guns (sanfranciscosentinel.com)
- Liston Matthews: Musings on the University of Tennessee gun debate (gunwatch.blogspot.com)
- Majority of States Support the NRA’s Request that the U.S. Supreme Court Overturn San Francisco’s Restriction on Self-Defense in the Home (nraila.org:443)
- Gun rights rally at Washington Senate gallery results in ban on firearms (guns.com)