Terror Attack: One Dead in Copenhagen Shooting That May Have Targeted CartoonistPosted: February 14, 2015
“Denmark has today been hit by a cynical act of violence. Everything suggests that the shooting in Osterbro was a political assassination and thus an act of terrorism.”
Copenhagen police said they were searching for a suspect who shot through the windows of the Krudttoenden cafe, where Swedish cartoonist Lars Vilks and the French ambassador to Denmark were among those attending an event hosted by the Lars Vilks committee.
“We face some difficult days when our unity will be tested. But in Denmark, we will never bow to the violence.”
— Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt
Initially, the authorities had said they were looking for two shooters.
Police said the motive for the shooting remained unclear but it was possible that Mr. Vilks was the target of the attack. Mr. Vilks was unhurt, according to Danish police. The cartoonist is known for having drawn caricatures of the Muslim Prophet Muhammad.
“Denmark has today been hit by a cynical act of violence,” said Danish Prime Minister Helle Thorning-Schmidt. “Everything suggests that the shooting in Osterbro was a political assassination and thus an act of terrorism.”
[Also see – Assassination Attempt on Mohammed Cartoonist Lars Vilks Sept 2013, punditfromanotherplanet]
She said police were on full alert across the country and all resources had been deployed to catch the perpetrator.
“We face some difficult days when our unity will be tested. But in Denmark, we will never bow to the violence,” she said.
The gunman fired dozens of shots into the event, a spokesman for the French foreign ministry said. The French ambassador wasn’t injured in the shooting but “was in complete shock,” said spokesman Roman Nadal, adding that the participants were rushed to a closed room inside the center after the shooting.
- Deadly shooting at blasphemy debate in Copenhagen featuring cartoonist Lars Vilks (EndtheLie.com)
- Feminist Paper Photoshops Male Leaders from Paris March Pics (israelnationalnews.com)
- Mark Steyn on Charlie Hebdo attacks: ‘Free speech has to include the right to insult Islam’ (news.nationalpost.com)
- AFP Photographer “Sad” to Make Obama Look Bad in “Selfie” Shot at Mandela Funeral (thegatewaypundit.com)
- The cover everyone’s talking about… (dailycaller.com)
- PHOTO DRAMA: Upset FLOTUS Switches Seats With Barack at Mandela Memorial (thegatewaypundit.com)