PUSHBACK: Republican Proposes Abolishing the ATF Amid Bullet Ban ControversyPosted: March 5, 2015
Cristina Marcos reports: Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner (R-Wis.) has reintroduced legislation to do away with the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF).
“The ATF is a scandal-ridden, largely duplicative agency that lacks a clear mission. Its ‘Framework’ is an affront to the Second Amendment and yet another reason why Congress should pass the ATF Elimination Act.”
— Rep. Jim Sensenbrenner, House Judiciary Committee
Sensenbrenner, a senior Republican on the House Judiciary Committee, said the policies under ATF’s jurisdiction could be easily incorporated into other agencies. Moreover, he argued, the ATF has become embroiled in too many controversies in recent years, like the botched “Fast and Furious” gun-tracking operation.
“The ATF is a scandal-ridden, largely duplicative agency that lacks a clear mission. Its ‘Framework’ is an affront to the Second Amendment and yet another reason why Congress should pass the ATF Elimination Act,” Sensenbrenner said in a statement.
The ATF has drawn the ire of Republican lawmakers for its proposed ban on an armor-piercing bullet used in AR-15 rifles. Republicans say that hunters frequently use the bullets. The bureau says it initiated the regulation to help protect law enforcement officers from bullets that can pierce armored vests.
Sensenbrenner’s bill would transfer the ATF’s functions related to guns, explosives and violent crime to the FBI. Meanwhile, responsibilities regarding alcohol and tobacco laws would fall under the Drug Enforcement Administration‘s jurisdiction….(read more)
- Police Overwhelmingly Reject AR-15 ‘Cop Killer Ammo’ Ban (nworeport.me)
- Obama to Ban AR-15 Bullets By Executive Action – Attempts a Back-Door Gun Ban (pumabydesign001.com)
- AR-15 Ammo Sales Skyrocket After ATF Ban Announcement (marketdailynews.com)
- Only Obama Could Believe Banning America’s Most Popular Ammo is ‘Common Sense’ (ammoland.com)
- Obama Administration to Ban Bullets; AR-15 Targeted (MinutemenNews.com)
- House honors Selma marchers, stalled on Voting Rights Act (cnn.com)
- Obama Threatens Top-Selling AR-15 Rifle With Executive Ban On Bullets… (weaselzippers.us)
- Obama’s Executive Action Ammo Ban Threatens Popular AR-15 (libertynews.com)
- Congress, Supreme Court scrutinize how feds take your stuff (watchdog.org)
- US anti-backdoor bill: If at first you’re shot down in flames – try, try again (go.theregister.com)