BREAKING: Mergers & Acquisitions Update: Boka Haram ISIS Merger Officially ApprovedPosted: March 7, 2015
The message, which was not verified, was posted on Boko Haram’s Twitter account and appeared to be by the group’s leader, Abubakar Shekau.
Boko Haram began a military campaign to impose Islamic rule in northern Nigeria in 2009. The conflict has since spread to neighbouring states.
It would be the latest in a series of groups to swear allegiance to IS.
In the past Boko Haram is thought to have had links with al-Qaeda.
IS took control of large swathes of territory in eastern Syria and across northern and western Iraq last year.
The group aims to establish a “caliphate”, a state ruled by a single political and religious leader according to Islamic law, or Sharia. Its leader, Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, is known to his followers as Caliph Ibrahim.
In the audio message posted on Saturday, the Boko Haram leader purportedly said: “We announce our allegiance to the Caliph… and will hear and obey in times of difficulty and prosperity….(read more)
- Boko Haram releases beheading video echoing IS (arabtimesonline.com)
- Boko Haram + ISIS = Marriage from Hell (wdsu.com)
- Boko Haram Takes A Page From ISIS Propaganda Playbook (nepr.net)
- Will Racism Keep ISIS from Teaming Up with Boko Haram? (nbcnews.com)
- Boko Haram Beheading Video Shows Similarities To ISIS (morningnewsusa.com)
- Nigerian president calls for US help as Boko Haram invade city (smh.com.au)
- Nigeria vows to crush Boko Haram as leader dismisses regional threat (businessinsider.com)