Gifts & Affection: ‘Teacher Of The Year’ Darcy Smith Accused Of Raping 14-Year Old StudentPosted: March 7, 2015 | |
SeaTac, Wash. (CBS SEATTLE) – A Highline School District elementary teacher, previously named “Teacher of the Year” in the region, is facing child rape charges from allegations she sexually abused a former student living in her home.
“The boy, now 19, told police that Smith, his sixth grade teacher, brought him into her home when he was 12 and began having sexual relations with him…He claims Smith showered him with gifts and affection, but that abuse intensified when Smith drank.”
King County prosecutors have charged Darcy M. Smith, 41, with three counts of child rape, alleging that she brought a boy in to live at her home when he was 12 years old and started to sexually abuse him the following year in 2008, KOMO-TV reports. The boy told police they first had sex when he was 14 and the abuse continued until he moved out of Smith’s Renton home at age 18.
“Smith told him not to say anything and made him promise not to tell . . . (she) said she would go to jail and be in big trouble if he told,” police said in charging papers. He “said he was a boy, thought it was cool.”
Court documents suggest Smith, who taught most recently at McMicken Heights Elementary School, was actively engaging in sexual misconduct with the boy when she was named regional teacher of the year in 2012.
The boy was allegedly living with Smith with his mother’s permission as her home was closer to the hospital in which he was recuperating from an injury.
“There is a lot more to this story than is contained in the cursory investigation that was done prior to the filing of these charges. Darcy looks forward to vigorously defending herself and to being exonerated.”
Smith’s attorney, Brad Meryhew, tells KOMO that she denies the allegations and has maintained her innocence since investigators first contacted her regarding the “false allegations.” In a recorded interview with investigators, Merhew says detectives failed to interview Smith’s husband or any others who would have been present in the home during the young boy’s alleged time living there.
Highline Public Schools spokeswoman Catherine Carbone Rogers said Smith has been with the district since 2001 and has been on administrative leave since claims arose in August of last year….(read more)
- South Dakota Foster Care Scandal: Lakota Children Sexual Abuse Case Covered up by Attorney General (annlrd.wordpress.com)
- Royal Commission – The Letter I Want to Receive (blogs.timesofisrael.com)
- OKAY, I GUESS “TEACH WOMEN NOT TO RAPE” HAS OFFICIALLY BECOME A THING: Gloria Allred suing high sch… (pjmedia.com)
- Suddenly, We’re Discovering That Sexual Abuse of Boys by Women Is Vastly More Common Than Previously… (pjmedia.com)
- Capitol Hill Staffer Avoids Jail Time After Pleading Guilty To Sexual Abuse (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Pope Francis apologizes to abuse victims at Vatican Mass (hotair.com)
- Former Penn State employees attempted to cover up Sandusky’s sexual abuse allegations (dailycaller.com)
- George Will: ‘I take sexual assault more seriously’ than those trying to silence me (hotair.com)