THE PANTSUIT REPORT: Hillary Clinton is Increasingly Unpopular…Posted: March 17, 2015
…It’s Not Because of Her E-mails
Aaron Blake reports: Hillary Clinton’s image is worse than at any point since 2008. That’s the big takeaway from a new CNN/Opinion Research poll released late Monday. And it’s true; 44 percent now have an unfavorable opinion of her — the highest that has been since June 2008, shortly after Clinton conceded the Democratic nomination to Barack Obama.
The new poll also has the distinction of having come just as Clinton’s use of a private e-mail account during her time as secretary of state is at issue. Ipso facto, her e-mail controversy is the cause of her flagging numbers, right?
While these two events are temporally aligned, there is little reason to believe the e-mails have really moved numbers that much. Not only is the change from CNN’s polling not statistically significant from two polls last year, it’s also part of a long-term trend. Clinton’s numbers have been declining for some time, and the shift in the latest poll is very much in line with what we would expect.
Here’s how the steady progression looks:
The second number that people focused on in the new poll is the “honest and trustworthy” number. While 56 percent of people described Clinton thusly one year ago, it’s down to 50 percent today.
A casualty of her e-mail problems? Perhaps. But that doesn’t really explain why the percentage of people who say they would be proud to have her as president has risen over the same span. While it was 50 percent in March 2014, it’s 57 percent today.
So while people see Clinton as less honest and trustworthy today, they also say…(read more)
- In trouble again: Homeland Security investigating another incident of misconduct by Secret Service agents (fox6now.com)
- GLOBAL PANIC FAILURE OVERLOAD Washington Post: ‘President Obama’s Competence Problem is Worse Than It Looks’ (punditfromanotherplanet.com)
- Hillary Clinton breaks silence on email scandal, did it for convenience (youngcons.com)
- SNL cold open : Hillary Clinton talks about her email problem (commoncts.blogspot.com)
- Hillary Clinton’s Private Email Account Hacked? The Perils of Shadow IT (tripwire.com)
- State Dept. review of Hillary Clinton emails will take months: report (unreportedtoday.com)
- Hillary Clinton’s defense of private email account fails to delete controversy (cbsnews.com)