Reed Humanities Professor: ‘In light of the serious stress you have caused your classmates, I feel that I have no other choice’Posted: March 19, 2015
Apparently, feelings are more important than facts
Katherine Timpf writes: A student at Reed College in Portland claims he was banned from class discussions mainly because he questioned a rape “statistic” — even though that “statistic” has been debunked — just because other students said they were uncomfortable.
Nineteen-year-old Jeremiah True told BuzzFeed News that his Humanities 110 professor, Pancho Savery, had warned him that his views on campus sexual assault were bothering other students — before ultimately sending True an e-mail telling him he was forbidden from participating in the “conference” portion of the class at all.
“Please know that this was a difficult decision for me to make and one that I have never made before; nevertheless, in light of the serious stress you have caused your classmates, I feel that I have no other choice,” the e-mail stated, according to BuzzFeed.
True said that although he had been chastised for several statements, the transgressions that ultimately led to the ban were him rejecting the idea of “rape culture” and disputing the “1-in-5-college-women-are-raped” statistic — despite the fact that that statistic has been repeatedly debunked.
Yes — he was banned for pointing out that a deceiving statistic was misleading…(read more)
- Student BANNED From Class For Denying “Rape Culture” (thelibertarianrepublic.com)
- College professor kicks student out of class for challenging rape stats (youngcons.com)
- ‘Rape culture’ reports exaggerated (elkodaily.com)
- Feminists Mute on Muslim Rape Epidemic Sweeping Europe (sgtreport.com)
- Lt. Gov. Hochul in Albany to address college sexual assaults (wnyt.com)
- “Rape Culture,” Debunked (powerlineblog.com)
- K.C. JOHNSON: “BuzzFeed is uncritically fascinated with ‘rape culture.’ Combine that with Occident… (pjmedia.com)
- “Shut Up culture” takes on dissent over campus “rape culture” (legalinsurrection.com)
- Debunking The Mystery Of THE Sexual Assault Statistic (dailycaller.com)