Elections Massacre: Lawmaker, 8 Others Killed by Insurgents in Gombe, NigeriaPosted: March 28, 2015
A member of Gombe State House of Assembly, Alhaji Umar Aminu (APC), and eight others are feared killed by insurgents on Saturday. The insurgents who attacked Dukku and Nafada local government areas of the state were said to have killed the lawmaker representing Dukku South Constituency.
A source told newsmen that the insurgents, who came from Yobe, initially attacked Shole, Birin Bolewa and Birin Fulani towns of Nafada and later attacked Dukku. There was confusion in the two areas as some voters left the polling units but others later returned to be accredited, the source said.
According to the source, the insurgents killed three persons in Nafada Local Government Area, including a policeman and killed six persons in Dukku Local Government Area, including the legislator.
The source further said the insurgents left on the Dukku-Darazo road after the attack.
DSP Fwaje Atajiri, the Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO) in the state, confirmed the report, adding that details of the incident would be given after investigations were completed. “There was an attack on the outskirts of Nafada in attempt to disrupt the elections.”
A joint team of military and policemen promptly moved to Dukku and pushed the insurgents to the bush,” he said. Atajiri said elections were going on in the area and other areas of the state as the Special Forces were in control of the situation.
Reacting to the death of his colleague, member representing Akko North Constituency at the State House of Assembly, Alhaji Gidado Lawanti, described his death as unfortunate….(read more)
- Boko Haram insurgents kill six in attacks on Nigerian voters (itv.com)
- Boko Haram gunmen kill 6 voters in northeast Nigeria (dailymail.co.uk)
- Millions vote in Nigeria elections hit by Islamist attacks and technology issues (theguardian.com)
- Suspected Boko Haram gunmen behead 23 on eve of Nigeria poll (smh.com.au)
- Boko Haram’s bomb-making factory discovered in Yobe (thenewsnigeria.com.ng)
- Terror attacks rock Nigerian elections (thetimes.co.uk)
- 23 ‘beheaded’ in NE Nigeria on eve of election: lawmaker, nurse (businessinsider.com)
- Former Speaker, Umar Na’abba dumps PDP (dailypost.ng)