Eliana Johnson: Rabbi Shmuley’s Full-Page Ad in Washington Post Slamming Iran DealPosted: March 30, 2015
Eliana Johnson writes: Shmuley Boteach, the outspoken Orthodox rabbi, is going up with a full-page advertisement in Tuesday’s Washington Post blasting the president for negotiating with Iran and pleading with him not to strike a deal with the ayatollah.
“Fighting al-Qaeda made you like Churchill,” the ad’s headline reads. “Appeasing Iran will make you like Chamberlain.” A photograph of former British prime minister Neville Chamberlain, waving the infamous Munich agreement over his head, along with the New York Times’s coverage of the moment in 1938, are superimposed over Obama’s face. The Times, the ad notes, endorsed the Munich agreement as “the price of peace.”
“We look to you as the leader of the free world and our friend. to understand that Jews today are being murdered around the globe. We need you to stand up for us.”
“The price of peace,” it says, “turned out to be 60 million lives.”
The ad, which is paid for by the World Values Network, an organization founded by Boteach and intended to foster Jewish values, also says that even those awed by the president’s resolve in foreign affairs are now “mystified” by his “willingness to appease” Iran.
Though it doesn’t say so explicitly, it’s clear the ad intends to send a message to the president from the Jewish people. “We look to you as the leader of the free world and our friend,” it says, “to understand that Jews today are being murdered around the globe. We need you to stand up for us.”
Boteach himself is not apolitical…(read more)
- American Born Rabbi Compares President Obama to Haman (jpupdates.com)
- Rabbi Compares Obama to Haman, Archenemy of Jewish People (teaparty.org)
- Once Again Boteach Doesn’t Speak for Me (desertpeace.wordpress.com)
- New Shmuley Boteach N.Y. Times ad urges Obama not to appease Iran (jta.org)
- Shmuley Boteach, CodePink and the Priestly Malediction (richardsilverstein.com)
- To Bibi or Not to Be (algemeiner.com)
- Rabbi warns Obama against appeasing Iran (thehill.com)