Another Court Victory Against Obama’s Illegal Executive Order Granting AmnestyPosted: April 7, 2015
Judge Denies Obama’s Request to Let Immigration Policy Stand
Julián Aguilar reports: A Brownsville-based federal judge on Tuesday denied the Obama administration’s request to let a controversial immigration program proceed while the issue plays out in the courts.
United States District Judge Andrew Hanen ruled that his initial decision to halt the president’s November executive action — which seeks to grant deportation relief and a work permit to up to 5 million undocumented immigrants, including a portion of the 1.6 million currently living in Texas — was the right one.
“Having considered the positions of all parties and the applicable law, this court remains convinced that its original findings and rulings in the Order of Temporary Injunction and Memorandum Opinion and Order issued on Feb. 16, 2015…were correct.”
Hanen initially ruled that the White House violated the Administrative Procedure Act, which governs the way federal policies are crafted and how much input the public gets.
Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton has called Obama’s action “beyond any president’s authority,” and says it “would inevitably cause irreparable harm to our state, imposing hundreds of millions of dollars in costs on Texas.”
Gov. Greg Abbott, the state’s former attorney general, filed the lawsuit against the Obama administration in December before being sworn in as governor. Texas is part of a 26-state coalition that challenged the executive action.
Hanen blocked the measure in February and the Obama administration immediately requested that the judge delay his own order. But on Tuesday, Hanen reiterated that wasn’t going to happen.
“Having considered the positions of all parties and the applicable law, this court remains convinced that its original findings and rulings in the Order of Temporary Injunction and Memorandum Opinion and Order issued on Feb. 16, 2015 … were correct,” he wrote in a 15-page opinion….(read more)
- Immigration Executive Action Lawsuit: Judge Andrew Hanen’s Temporary Injunction Still In Effect, Calls For New Hearing (latinpost.com)
- State accuses Obama Administration of misleading judge (mrt.com)
- 2nd Day of Ted Cruz’s Run: Interview with Texas Tribune (educationviews.org)
- War Between Obama, Fed Judiciary Heats Up: Fifth Circuit to Hear Expedited Immigration Appeal (pjmedia.com)
- Inside The Texas Tribune: Before growing audience, let’s first understand it (nextlevelofnews.com)
- Ted Cruz compares climate change activists to ‘flat-Earthers.’ Where to begin? (washingtonpost.com)
- Say It Is So, Louie! (washingtonmonthly.com)
- Is Ted Cruz about to announce for president(Monday)? (gunnyg2.wordpress.com)
- Texas lawmaker accused of threatening DPS agent (kxan.com)